Explore San Francisco
Type: Adventure, Attractions, Beaches, Outdoor Activities - Summer, Outdoor Activities - Winter, Parks, Public Spaces
Fort Funston is known for its dog-walking trails and its hang-gliding, but it's still a lovely beach to visit, even if you don't have any interest in either of those activities. Just south of Ocean... Read More
Fort Funston is known for its dog-walking trails and its hang-gliding, but it's still a lovely beach to visit, even if you don't have any interest in either of those activities. Just south of Ocean Beach, Fort Funston offers the same long stretches of beach as Ocean Beach does but without all the people. And many do visit just to watch the year-round activity of the hang-gliders who levitate on the steady gusts busting up the cliffs. For those seashell hunters out there, it's definitely worth driving the extra ten minutes south fromOcean Beach since less people means more natural treasures to discover.
San Francisco, CA 94101
- Beaches: "Not as crowded as Ocean Beach and with more dramatic views."
- Attractions near The Cow Palace, Parks: "Be prepared for not just fog, but dogs - this is THE place for locals to walk their canine friends."
- Best for Beaches Because: Fort Funston is easily accessible and very popular with dog-walkers.
- Best for Attractions near The Cow Palace Because: If you're in town for a convention at the Cow Palace, Fort Funston is one of the closest beaches.
- Best for Parks Because: Fort Funston is a beautiful mix of forest walks and long stretches of beach.
Find the 10Best nearby: