Explore San Francisco
Also Featured In
One of the world's most famous bridges, the Golden Gate spans 6450 feet and links San Francisco to Marin County. Completed in 1937 at a cost of $35 million, the "Bridge That Could Not Be Built" is now... Read More
One of the world's most famous bridges, the Golden Gate spans 6450 feet and links San Francisco to Marin County. Completed in 1937 at a cost of $35 million, the "Bridge That Could Not Be Built" is now a landmark visible from many points around the Bay. Besides the new visitor's center on the south side of the bridge, the bike lanes on the west side of the bridge have been widened. The best way to see the bridge is on foot, so put some time aside to walk across the 1.7 mile span. Even if you only make it half-way, the views will be well worth it.
- Daily 24 hrs
- Toll for Cars Crossing the Bridge $6 - $9
- Best Attractions & Activities: "The new visitor's center at the Golden Gate Bridge offers gifts, snacks and some fascinating history of the iconic bridge."
- Romantic Things to Do: "Don't let the summer fog on the San Francisco side fool you: the north tower in Marin is almost always fog-free."
- Free Things to Do: "Surprisingly enough, the safest place to be during an earthquake is the retrofitted Golden Gate Bridge."
- Sightseeing: "Be sure to check out the Golden Gate Visitor's Center on the south side of the bridge."
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: Visiting San Francisco and not seeing the Golden Gate Bridge is like visiting New York City and not visiting the Empire State Building.
- Best for Romantic Things to Do Because: Walking hand-in-hand across the golden Gate Bridge is one of the most romantic walks in the world.
- Best for Free Things to Do Because: The Golden Gate Bridge is to San Francisco what The Empire State is to NYC.
- Best for Sightseeing Because: The Golden Gate Bridge never gets old as far sights to see.