Explore San Francisco
Also Featured In
Cuisine: American, European, Italian
Price Range: $
Founded way back in 1937 and having survived the Great Depression, Original Joe's is a great place to eat. The simplicity of the meals is only outdone by the portions: the classic Flatiron Steak and... Read More
Founded way back in 1937 and having survived the Great Depression, Original Joe's is a great place to eat. The simplicity of the meals is only outdone by the portions: the classic Flatiron Steak and Eggs is three square meals on one plate. The breakfast menu offers a good variety of omelets, along with sausage, eggs, ham, and other traditional breakfast items. The retro ambiance includes waiters in tuxedos, and hamburgers come highly recommended. With its signature red leather booths, legendary smooth cocktails, and renowned Italian American menu, Joe's has come to signify its own Northern Californian category of food and symbolizes classic Italian American comfort food at its finest.
- North Beach's Best Restaurants: "Closed due to a fire in 2007. Re-opened late 2009 with a modernized deco that still maintains its traditional style and beauty."
- Italian: "With its central location in North Beach, Original Joe's is a wonderful starting point for a long, adventurous tour of San Francisco's North Beach neighborhood!"
- Homestyle: "Walk up and down the hills of North Beach to work off your big Original Joe's meal!"
- Restaurants near AT&T Park: "Closed due to a fire in 2007. Re-opened late 2009."
- Best for North Beach's Best Restaurants Because: Original Joe's is a rare exception in the San Francisco food scene, combining traditional classics with a modern sensibility.
- Best for Italian Because: Original Joe's may be loaded with tourists, but its atmosphere full of nostalgia for longstanding Italian and San Francisco traditions is wholly authentic.
- Best for Homestyle Because: Original Joe's has been making simple but comforting food for San Francisco for generations.
- Best for Restaurants near AT&T Park Because: A great option for those headed to AT&T Park but also wanting to experience San Francisco's iconic North Beach neighborhood.