Explore Santa Barbara
Also Featured In
Santa Barbara County Courthouse
Free summer movies, free flamenco shows in August, free 365-degree views of the city from the clock tower... the Santa Barbara County Courthouse is a mecca of free, fun things. It's also stunning!... Read More
Free summer movies, free flamenco shows in August, free 365-degree views of the city from the clock tower... the Santa Barbara County Courthouse is a mecca of free, fun things. It's also stunning! Considered one of the most beautiful government buildings in America, Santa Barbara's historic Spanish-Moorish style courthouse draws thousands of visitors each year. Civic court functions are still part of daily life in this bustling structure, and there are two sights you absolutely cannot miss: the Mural Room and the El Mirador clock tower. The Mural Room, a popular site for weddings, is the jewel of the Courthouse, showcasing a romanticized version of Santa Barbara's history over 6,000 square feet of wall space. Not to be outdone, the clock tower allows for a breathtaking view of the city.
- Information booth Mon-Fri 8:30am-4:30pm, Sat-Sun 10am-4:30pm. Guided tours Mon-Sat 2pm, Mon/Tue/Fri 10:30am
- Free Things to Do: "In the summer, free movies are shown in the sunken gardens on Friday nights. Go early to claim your spot!"
- Romantic Things to Do: "Climb or ride to the top of the courthouse clock tower for a 360-degree view of Santa Barbara."
- Best Attractions & Activities: "Climb or ride up to the top of the clock tower for a 360-degree view of Santa Barbara. It's completely free!"
- Best for Free Things to Do Because: There's no better place to get a view of Santa Barbara than from the top of the Courthouse clock tower.
- Best for Romantic Things to Do Because: Lush, tropical gardens surround the Courthouse, ideal for an afternoon picnic or some al fresco sketching.
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: The Santa Barbara Courthouse has been called the most beautiful government building in America. You have to see it to believe it!