Explore Santa Barbara
Via Maestra 42
Cuisine: European, Italian
Move over, pumpkin spice lattes! For an even more indulgent fall treat, head to Via Maestra 42 for the Ravioli Zuccotto, savory pumpkin and ricotta ravioli with a browned butter sage sauce. This gem... Read More
Move over, pumpkin spice lattes! For an even more indulgent fall treat, head to Via Maestra 42 for the Ravioli Zuccotto, savory pumpkin and ricotta ravioli with a browned butter sage sauce. This gem of an Italian restaurant is very small and, at first glance, barely resembles a restaurant at all. There are freezers full of Italian delicacies, a gelato counter, cases of tasty takeaway items and a few tables inside (there is also an extended patio of tables outside now). Do not let this casual appearance affect your decision to eat here. Settle in to wait for a seat, and your taste buds will be rewarded. Every dish is delicious and authentic. Portions are smallish, more European than American, so start with an antipasti. And, whatever you do, save room for dessert: Via Maestra 42's classic Italian desserts –" cannolis, tarts and more –" can't be topped.
- Best Restaurants for Fall: "Don't limit yourself to dinner. Stop by for breakfast Monday through Saturday. Hearty breakfast dishes are served with grilled bread, fresh fig jam and melon depending on the season. And they make a perfect cappuccino!"
- Romantic Dining: "To avoid the envy that comes with spotting a dish more delicious than your own, order the pumpkin ravioli. You won't regret it."
- Italian: "To avoid the pangs of envy that come with spotting a dish even more delicious than your own, order their legendary pumpkin ravioli."
- San Roque's Best Restaurants: "To avoid the pangs of envy that come with spotting a dish even more delicious than your own, order the pumpkin ravioli. It is the stuff of legend here in Santa Barbara."
- Best Restaurants: "Order the legendary pumpkin ravioli for dinner and then come back the next morning for an amazing hot breakfast."
- Recommended as Best Restaurants for Fall Because: If you're not eating Via Maestra's pumpkin ravioli, you're not doing fall right.
- Best for Romantic Dining Because: At first glance: underwhelming. Once inside or seated on the small patio: the tiniest, the most romantic (and best-kept secret) Italian restaurant in town!
- Best for Italian Because: The very best Italian food in town is hiding in this tiny little restaurant, but the real secret is that you should go for breakfast.
- Best for San Roque's Best Restaurants Because: The best Italian food in Santa Barbara can be found here (and the gelato counter is killer, too).
- Recommended as Best Restaurants Because: Looking for the best Italian food in town? Via Maestra 42 is hiding it in this tiny restaurant on upper State Street.