Explore Santa Barbara
Also Featured In
Via Maestra 42
Cuisine: European, Italian
Move over, pumpkin spice lattes! For an even more indulgent fall treat, head to Via Maestra 42 for the Ravioli Zuccotto, savory pumpkin and ricotta ravioli with a browned butter sage sauce. This gem... Read More
Move over, pumpkin spice lattes! For an even more indulgent fall treat, head to Via Maestra 42 for the Ravioli Zuccotto, savory pumpkin and ricotta ravioli with a browned butter sage sauce. This gem of an Italian restaurant is very small and, at first glance, barely resembles a restaurant at all. There are freezers full of Italian delicacies, a gelato counter, cases of tasty takeaway items and a few tables inside (there are also a couple of tables outside). Do not let this casual appearance affect your decision to eat here. Settle in to wait for a seat and your tastebuds will be rewarded. Every dish is delicious and authentic. Portions are small, more European than American, so start with an antipasti. And, whatever you do, save room for dessert: Via Maestra 42's classic Italian desserts - cannolis, tarts and more - can't be topped.
3343 State St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93105
- Best Restaurants for Fall, Italian: "To avoid the pangs of envy that come with spotting a dish even more delicious than your own, order their legendary pumpkin ravioli."
- Romantic Dining: "To avoid the envy that comes with spotting a dish more delicious than your own, order the pumpkin ravioli. It is the stuff of legend."
- San Roque's Best Restaurants: "To avoid the pangs of envy that come with spotting a dish even more delicious than your own, order the pumpkin ravioli. It is the stuff of legend here in Santa Barbara."
- Best Restaurants: "Order the legendary pumpkin ravioli for dinner and then come back the next morning for an amazing hot breakfast."
- Recommended as Best Restaurants for Fall Because: If you're not eating Via Maestra's pumpkin ravioli, you're not doing fall right.
- Best for Romantic Dining Because: At first glance: underwhelming. Once inside or seated on the small patio: the tiniest, most romantic (and best kept secret) Italian restaurant in town!
- Best for Italian Because: The very best Italian food in town is hiding in this tiny little restaurant, but the real secret is that you should go for breakfast.
- Best for San Roque's Best Restaurants Because: The best Italian food in Santa Barbara can be found here (and the gelato counter is killer, too).
- Recommended as Best Restaurants Because: Looking for the best Italian food in town? Via Maestra 42 is hiding it in this tiny restaurant on upper State Street.