Explore Santa Barbara
Via Maestra 42
Cuisine: European, Italian
Tucked away on landlocked upper State Street is a romantic gem of an Italian eatery, Via Maestra 42. The restaurant is very small and, at first glance, barely resembles a restaurant at all. There are... Read More
Tucked away on landlocked upper State Street is a romantic gem of an Italian eatery, Via Maestra 42. The restaurant is very small and, at first glance, barely resembles a restaurant at all. There are cases full of Italian delicacies, displays of tasty takeaway items and a few small tables set with roses inside (there are also a couple of tables outside). It's intimate and usually crowded, but you should settle in and wait for a seat. Your tastebuds will be handsomely rewarded. Every dish is delicious and authentic. Don't be surprised if you feel like you have been transported to Italy. And, whatever you do, save room for dessert: Via Maestra 42's classic Italian desserts--cannolis, tarts, gelato and more--can't be topped.
- Romantic Dining: "To avoid the envy that comes with spotting a dish more delicious than your own, order the pumpkin ravioli. You won't regret it."
- Best Restaurants for Fall: "Don't limit yourself to dinner. Stop by for breakfast Monday through Saturday. Hearty breakfast dishes are served with grilled bread, fresh fig jam and melon depending on the season - and they make a perfect cappuccino."
- Italian: "To avoid the pangs of envy that come with spotting a dish even more delicious than your own, order their legendary pumpkin ravioli."
- San Roque's Best Restaurants: "To avoid the pangs of envy that come with spotting a dish even more delicious than your own, order the pumpkin ravioli. It is the stuff of legend here in Santa Barbara."
- Best Restaurants: "Order the legendary pumpkin ravioli for dinner and then come back the next morning for an amazing hot breakfast."
- Best for Romantic Dining Because: At first glance: underwhelming. Once inside or seated on the small patio: the tiniest, the most romantic (and best-kept secret) Italian restaurant in town!
- Recommended as Best Restaurants for Fall Because: If you're not eating Via Maestra's pumpkin ravioli, you're not doing fall right.
- Best for Italian Because: The very best Italian food in town is hiding in this tiny little restaurant, but the real secret is that you should go for breakfast.
- Best for San Roque's Best Restaurants Because: The best Italian food in Santa Barbara can be found here (and the gelato counter is killer, too).
- Recommended as Best Restaurants Because: Looking for the best Italian food in town? Via Maestra 42 is hiding it in this tiny restaurant on upper State Street.