Explore Santa Barbara
Old Mission Santa Barbara
Type: Historic Sites, Religious Sites
If you didn't take a picture of the Queen of the Missions, does your trip to Santa Barbara even count? Most locals would say no. Pack a picnic (don't forget the local wine) and spread out for happy... Read More
If you didn't take a picture of the Queen of the Missions, does your trip to Santa Barbara even count? Most locals would say no. Pack a picnic (don't forget the local wine) and spread out for happy hour at the rose garden across the way while admiring the view. Referred to as "Queen of the Missions" for its graceful beauty, the Old Mission Santa Barbara is the tenth of 21 missions built in California. The pink-tinged building features twin bell towers and affords outstanding views of the city. Daily tours are available, and remnants of early mission structures (mill, reservoir, kiln, etc.) can also be seen, along with sacred artifacts. An onsite gift shop features jewelry, statues, religious artifacts and more.
2201 Laguna St
Santa Barbara, CA 93105
Hours:Due to COVID-19, please check with the attraction for the most recent updates to their opening hours.
- Self-guided tour Adult $5; Senior $4; Student (6-15) $1; Child (0-5) Free
- Free Things to Do: "Visit the mission during the I Madonnari festival to see great (but temporary) works of art, hear live music and eat food from local vendors."
- Best Attractions & Activities: "Grab a blanket and pack a picnic to enjoy on the beautiful and spacious lawns surrounding the mission. There's plenty of street parking on weekdays."
- Sightseeing, Museums: "The Santa Barbara Mission is especially vibrant over Memorial Day weekend, when it hosts Santa Barbara's popular I Madonnari chalk painting festival."
- Best for Free Things to Do Because: An exceptionally beautiful historical destination, especially when the lush rose garden is in bloom.
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: Known as the "Queen of the Missions," this historic building offers tours, has an ocean view and is fronted by the prettiest rose garden!
- Best for Sightseeing Because: The Santa Barbara Mission is beautiful year round. Daily tours are available, and there is lush grass that's ideal for picnic lunches.
- Best for Museums Because: You can't visit Santa Barbara without taking in the majesty of the "Queen of the Missions."