Type: Historic Sites, Religious Sites
Built in 1829, the neo-Gothic Basilique Notre-Dame is constructed in the scale and manner of Europe's great churches. It's said that the protestant architect James O'Donnell, who designed the... Read More
Built in 1829, the neo-Gothic Basilique Notre-Dame is constructed in the scale and manner of Europe's great churches. It's said that the protestant architect James O'Donnell, who designed the basilica, was so taken with the project that he converted to Catholicism. Fine woodwork, rose ceiling windows, blue vaulted ceilings and a massive church bell make this a great place to visit. A small, on-site museum displays various religious artifacts, paintings and vestments.The paintings, sculptures, and stained-glass windows that adorn the structure illustrate biblical passages as well as 350 years of parish history. Catch the Notre-Dame Basilica in the evening, when a sound and light show, AURA presents the founding of the city and its basilica.The luminous experience begins with a path of lights, revealing the Basilica's rich interior. The creative use of light, orchestral music combined with the architecture combine to create a unique, three-act multimedia spectacle.
110, rue Notre-Dame ouest
Montréal, QC H2Y 1T2
Hours:Due to COVID-19, please check with the attraction for the most recent updates to their opening hours.
- Adult CAD8; Child (6-17) CAD5; Child (0-6) Free
- Romantic Things to Do: "Try to visit in the evening to see "Aura"- the multimedia display. ."
- Things to Do in December: "Try to visit in the evening to take in the multi-media light display, "Aura". Tickets for "Aura" and self-guided tours can be pre booked online. Covid 19 protocols strickly enforced."
- Historic Sites: "Try to visit in the evening to see the light displays."
- Best for Romantic Things to Do Because: It's the site of "Aura", one of the multi-media shows detailing the history of the Basilica, Celine Dion's wedding and Pierre Elliott Trudeau's funeral.
- Best for Things to Do in December Because: Holiday offerings include Christmas Eve masses and "Aura" the multimedia shows detailing Montreal's history. One hour self-guided tours are also available.
- Best for Historic Sites Because: It's the site of Celine Dion's wedding and Pierre Trudeau's funeral.