Also Featured In
Musée des Beaux Arts de Montréal
Type: Art Museums, Museums
The Musee des Beaux-Arts, founded in 1860, is Canada's oldest museum and boasts some of the finest paintings in the country. Among its permanent holdings are artworks from Canadian artists and those... Read More
The Musee des Beaux-Arts, founded in 1860, is Canada's oldest museum and boasts some of the finest paintings in the country. Among its permanent holdings are artworks from Canadian artists and those created by European masters. The museum also features native Canadian artifacts and a collection of period furnishings, along with drawings, engravings, silverware and works of art from ancient Asia, Egypt, Greece and South America. More contemporary exhibitions include an examination of Andy Warhol's advertising, the images of local photographers as well as a look at art as a means to social and environmental change. An on-site restaurant offers light fare.
- Tue,: Thu-Sun; 10am-5pm
- Wed: 10am-9pm Event; Dates; and; Times; Vary Contact; for; Specific; Dates; and; Times Hours; May; Vary; Seasonally
- Adult CAD15; Senior (65+) CAD7.50; Student (13-29) CAD7.50; Child (12 and under) Free; Family CAD30
- Things to Do in December: "Free family -friendly art activities are offered throughout December. Just check the Cultural Activities guide on their website for event times."
- Free Things to Do: "Admission is free for all on the first Sunday of the month and every day for those 20 and under. Seniors 65+ are admitted free on Thursdays. Major exhibitions are half-price for all on Wednesdays after 5 pm. Closed Monday."
- Things to Do with Kids: "Admission is free for those under 20 and the first Sunday of every month for all ages. Families partaking in activities receive a dated pass."
- Best Attractions & Activities, Museums: "Major exhibits are half price on Wednesday evenings after 5 pm."
- Best for Things to Do in December Because: The Musee des Beaux-Arts hosts special holiday themed family- friendly art and craft workshops inspired by the One World collection.
- Best for Free Things to Do Because: It's Montreal's largest art museum covering a variety of periods and art movements.
- Best for Things to Do with Kids Because: The museum offers special programs for kids of all ages.
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: The studio highlights the creativity of Nincheri, the prolific artist who created no less than 5,000 glass masterpieces, now displayed across North America.
- Best for Museums Because: As well as a strong collection of art through the ages, some exhibitions focus on re-examining art works from the 20th century.