Also Featured In
Musée des Beaux Arts de Montréal
Type: Art Museums, Museums
The Musee des Beaux-Arts, founded in 1860, is Canada's oldest museum and boasts some of the finest paintings in the country. Among its permanent holdings are artworks from Canadian artists and those... Read More
The Musee des Beaux-Arts, founded in 1860, is Canada's oldest museum and boasts some of the finest paintings in the country. Among its permanent holdings are artworks from Canadian artists and those created by European masters. The museum also features native Canadian artifacts and a collection of period furnishings, along with drawings, engravings, silverware and works of art from ancient Asia, Egypt, Greece and South America. More contemporary exhibitions include an examination of Andy Warhol's advertising, the images of local photographers as well as a look at art as a means to social and environmental change. An on-site restaurant offers light fare.
- Tue,: Thu-Sun; 10am-5pm
- Wed: 10am-9pm Event; Dates; and; Times; Vary Contact; for; Specific; Dates; and; Times Hours; May; Vary; Seasonally
- Adult CAD15; Senior (65+) CAD7.50; Student (13-29) CAD7.50; Child (12 and under) Free; Family CAD30
- Holiday Attractions, Things to Do with Kids, Museums: "Major exhibits are half price on Wednesday evenings after 5 pm."
- Free Things to Do: "Except Wednesdays after 5 pm,admission to Collections and Discovery exhibits are free for those 30 years and under,over 65 every Thursday,the last Sunday of every month and during the Holiday seasons, December 26 to January 2 and Spring Break for the general public. Major exhibitions are half-price for all on Wednesdays after 5 pm. Closed Monday."
- Best for Holiday Attractions Because: The Musee des Beaux-Arts hosts special Christmas concerts over the holiday season.
- Best for Things to Do with Kids Because: The museum has special programs for kids of all ages.
- Best for Free Things to Do Because: It's Montreal's largest art museum covering a variety of time periods and art movements.
- Best for Museums Because: As well as a strong collection of art through the ages, some exhibitions focus on re-examining art works from the 20th century.