Mus–e des Beaux Arts de Montr–al
Type: Art Museums, Museums
The Musee des Beaux-Arts, founded in 1860, is Canada's oldest museum and boasts some of the finest paintings in the country. Among its permanent holdings are artworks from Canadian artists and those... Read More
The Musee des Beaux-Arts, founded in 1860, is Canada's oldest museum and boasts some of the finest paintings in the country. Among its permanent holdings are artworks from Canadian artists and those created by European masters. The museum also features native Canadian artifacts and a collection of period furnishings, along with drawings, engravings, silverware and works of art from ancient Asia, Egypt, Greece and South America. More contemporary exhibitions include an examination of Andy Warhol's advertising, the images of local photographers as well as a look at art as a means to social and environmental change. An on-site restaurant offers light fare.
Hours:Due to COVID-19, please check with the attraction for the most recent updates to their opening hours.
- Adult CAD24; Student (21-31) CAD16; Child (20 and under) Free
- Things to Do in December: "Pre-register online for free admission to the permanent collection every evening from Dec 1-24th."
- Things to Do with Kids: "Pre book your visit online. Masks are required for all visitors. Admission is free for those under 20 and the first Sunday of every month for Quebec residents of all ages."
- Best Attractions & Activities: "Fun and free art therapy/workshops sessions are offered online"
- Museums: "Major exhibits are half price on Wednesday evenings after 5 pm."
- Best for Things to Do in December Because: Along with free admission to the permanent collections, it's a great place to gift shop for lots of quality gifts.
- Best for Things to Do with Kids Because: The museum offers special programs for kids of all ages.
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: Montreal's largest art museum truly offers something for everyone including Quebec and Canadian art, world-renowned contemporary art exhibits and a good virtual collection too. .
- Best for Museums Because: As well as a strong collection of art through the ages, some exhibitions focus on re-examining art works from the 20th century.