Type: Day Trips, Family Friendly, Gardens, Outdoor Activities, Parks, Public Spaces, Relaxing, Theme Parks
Getting to the Toronto Islands takes just a 10-minute ferry ride, but it transports you to an entirely different world. The small, interconnected Toronto islands provide a wonderful escape from the... Read More
Getting to the Toronto Islands takes just a 10-minute ferry ride, but it transports you to an entirely different world. The small, interconnected Toronto islands provide a wonderful escape from the hustle and bustle of the city. These islands are North America's largest car-free communities, with some permanent residents and many summer tourists coming to enjoy a different perspective, with a view of Lake Ontario on one end and the city skyline on the other. Centre Island is the most popular and has a small amusement park for little ones to enjoy. Another quieter island is Hanlan's Point which is home to North America's oldest existing lighthouse and once had a baseball stadium where Babe Ruth hit his first home run. There is also a clothing-optional beach on Hanlan's Point (you've been warned). During the summer months, all of the islands are popular places to bike, picnic and frisbee.
Hours:Due to COVID-19, please check with the attraction for the most recent updates to their opening hours.
- Toronto Island Ferry Adult CAD7.71; Senior CAD5.05; Student (15-19) CAD5.05; Child (14 and under) CAD3.72
- Outdoor Activities: "You can always skip the ferry and paddle over to the islands on a canoe. With the several islands separated by canals and waterways, you have your pick of where to dock. Just be aware of the "Exclusion Zone" of the Toronto Island Airport. Those big "Keep Out" signs should keep you on track."
- Best Attractions & Activities: "There are not a lot of food options on the island, so hit up the nearby St. Lawrence Market for a picnic spread of epic proportions."
- Best for Outdoor Activities Because: Lake Ontario on one side and the city skyline on the other. Heaven, as long as the weather is good.
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: Islands that are just a stone's throw from the city centre are a great way to see the CN Tower from a new angle.