Also Featured In
Type: Art & Culture, City, Historic Sites, Local Picks, Sightseeing, Uniquely Here
Toronto is not exactly the first place you go when you get the craving for a castle. However, in the middle of an upscale neighbourhood right near downtown Toronto, there is a majestic castle which... Read More
Toronto is not exactly the first place you go when you get the craving for a castle. However, in the middle of an upscale neighbourhood right near downtown Toronto, there is a majestic castle which was built in 1911 by a Canadian industrialist. Casa Loma has been open to the public for years and offers tours of the castle's 98 rooms, 1,800-bottle wine cellar and 800-foot underground passage leading to the home's stables. During the festive season, there is the chance to listen to Christmas carollers, indulge in gingerbread, ice cookies and tell Santa if you really have been good this year. There is also a 25-foot tree that greets visitors in the Great Hall, making for fantastic holiday card (or let's be honest, Instagram) photos.
- Daily 9:30am-5pm
- Hours May Vary Seasonally
- Adult CAD25; Senior (60+) CAD20; Child (14-17) CAD20; Child (4-13) CAD15;
Parking CAD3 - CAD9
- Holiday Attractions: "Every December, there is a Christmas ball at Casa Loma that includes a live holiday concert with Toronto's Symphony Orchestra."
- Historic Sites: "Oenophiles will love a tour of the castle's 1,800 bottle wine cellar."
- Best Attractions & Activities, Sightseeing: "Special events throughout the month include brunches on special occasions, such as Valentine's Day or Father's Day. For not much more than the price of admission you can get live entertainment and great food. Check the Casa Loma events page for more details."
- The Annex's Best Attractions & Activities: "Runners love going from the Annex to Casa Loma for a 5K jog with plenty of scenery."
- Best for Holiday Attractions Because: Over 100 years of Christmas experience and Casa Loma is still going strong.
- Best for Historic Sites Because: Whether or not you believe in Prince or Princess Charming, at least there is a castle for you in Toronto.
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: The architecture inside is beautiful; the gardens outside are alluring. Most importantly, it is a castle in a Canadian city.
- Best for The Annex's Best Attractions & Activities Because: This may not be directly in the Annex, but it is close enough. Plus, it is a castle.
- Best for Sightseeing Because: Toronto has threatened to tear down this house on the hill multiple times. It still stands, one of the few relics of its time.