Also Featured In
St. Lawrence Market
Type: Food / Gourmet Stores, Gift Stores, Markets, Public Markets, Specialty Shops
Did you know Toronto is home to the world's best food market? According to National Geographic magazine, the St. Lawrence Market in the southeast end of the city's downtown core has the globe's... Read More
Did you know Toronto is home to the world's best food market? According to National Geographic magazine, the St. Lawrence Market in the southeast end of the city's downtown core has the globe's greatest collection of vendors selling all manner of food. Walk around the indoor marketplace, in operation since 1803, and you'll find permanent vendors hawking the freshest seafood, cheeses from around the world, and meats and produce grown just outside the city. But as glorious as the St. Lawrence Market's food selection is, that's not all you'll find here. There is one-of-a-kind jewellery, fresh flowers, clothing, gifts and souvenirs. Join one of the market's daily walking tours to discover the area's fascinating history and its importance in Toronto's growth as a city.
- Shopping Malls and Centers: "Everything needed for a great picnic can be found at the market. Bring a cooler, visit the market vendors and head out to Toronto Island for the perfect picnic spot."
- Best Shopping: "If you can go during the week, do so. You won't miss the Saturday crowd."
- Gourmet Stores: "Come in the morning and nosh on a peameal bacon sandwich at the Carousel Bakery, which is a Toronto institution in itself. You'll see."
- Best for Shopping Malls and Centers Because: Antiques, collectables and fresh flowers. But let's be honest, you're really there for the food.
- Recommended as Best Shopping Because: St. Lawrence Market has all the food you have ever craved under one roof.
- Best for Gourmet Stores Because: This is the mecca of Toronto foodie experiences. It wouldn't be hard to spend an entire day eating your way through the market.