Denver Art Museum
Type: Art Museums, Museums
Denver Art Museum is highly regarded for its collection of Indigenous art of North America, which includes over 16,000 pieces from more than 100 tribes. The original seven-story contemporary building,... Read More
Denver Art Museum is highly regarded for its collection of Indigenous art of North America, which includes over 16,000 pieces from more than 100 tribes. The original seven-story contemporary building, designed by Gio Ponti, reopens fall 2021 with expanded galleries and new spaces for interactive and creative activities. The revamped Martin Building showcases impressive displays of ancient American and Latin American art and textiles, a fascinating Asian collection, photography, textile and fashion art, and an assortment of American and European pieces. The Architecture and Design galleries are also notable, as is the Western American Art collection. In 2006, the Frederic C. Hamilton Building, a wondrous titanium-clad structure designed by Daniel Libeskind, opened its doors across 13th Street from the original building. Libeskind's deeply angled edifice dramatically increased the museum's gallery space while redefining the Denver skyline and the way in which art can be exhibited.
Hours:Due to COVID-19, please check with the attraction for the most recent updates to their opening hours.
- Adult $10 - $13; Senior $8 - $10; Student $8 - $10; Child (0-18) Free
- Best Attractions & Activities: "Although the museum's wonderful backpack program is temporarily suspended, there are still engaging family and children's activities, including challenges families can do on their own, such as creating a photo that makes someone look as large as the humongous Scottish Angus Cow & Calf sculpture behind the Hamilton Building."
- Free Things to Do: "All year long, general admission is free to children 18 and under, and you can check the museum's website for the selected free days for adults during the year."
- Museums: "Ask about Create-N-Takes, facilitated drop-in activities offered weekdays during school breaks and weekends during the school year. Kids create a variety of themed projects and take them home."
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: DAM holds its own against any museum in the country, and is an architectural marvel.
- Best for Free Things to Do Because: It's Denver's premier art museum and one of the most impressive art museums west of the Mississippi--and it has free days every month.
- Best for Museums Because: It's the largest art museum between Chicago and the West Coast and offers incredible family programs and art collections.