Also Featured In
Photo courtesy of http://www.denverartmuseum.org/utility/press/images
Denver Art Museum
Type: Art Museums, Museums
Denver Art Museum (DAM) is highly regarded for its American Indian art collection, which represents pieces from nearly every tribe across the United States. But the museum, which is comprised of two... Read More
Denver Art Museum (DAM) is highly regarded for its American Indian art collection, which represents pieces from nearly every tribe across the United States. But the museum, which is comprised of two buildings, also has impressive displays of Pre-Columbian and Spanish Colonial art, a stellar Asian collection as well as textiles, plus a fine assortment of modern American and European paintings. When the architecturally intriguing Frederic C. Hamilton Building opened in 2006, designed by renowned architect Daniel Libeskind, the museum itself became part of the art it offers. For one thing, the building's sharp interior angles forced curators to think about exhibiting collections in new ways. In addition to its artwork, DAM offers an impressive museum shop (say yes to holiday shopping here), some of the best family and children's programs of any museum in the country, stellar temporary exhibits and a nice cafe.
- Tue-Thu,: Sat-Sun; 10am-5pm
- Fri: 10am-8pm
- Adult $10 - $13; Senior $8 - $10; Student $8 - $10; Child (0-18) Free
- Free Things to Do: "All year long, general admission is free to children 18 and under and free for all the first Saturday of each month."
- Museums: "Ask about Create-N-Takes, facilitated drop-in activities offered weekdays during school breaks and weekends during the school year. Kids create a variety of themed projects and take them home."
- Best Attractions & Activities: "As you meander through the Frederic C. Hamilton Building, consider how the angled walls force curators to get creative when hanging and displaying artwork. If you visit with children on a weekend, ask for a family backpack; they're filled with interactive games and guides that ramp up the fun factor as you explore."
- Best for Free Things to Do Because: It's Denver's premier art museum and one of the most impressive art museums west of the Mississippi--and it has free days every month.
- Best for Museums Because: It's the largest art museum between Chicago and the West Coast and offers incredible family programs and art collections.
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: DAM holds its own against any museum in the country, and is an architectural marvel.