Denver Art Museum
Type: Art Museums, Museums
Denver Art Museum (DAM) is highly regarded for its Indigenous Arts of North America collection, with over 18,000 works from more than 250 indigenous nations. But the museum, which spreads across two... Read More
Denver Art Museum (DAM) is highly regarded for its Indigenous Arts of North America collection, with over 18,000 works from more than 250 indigenous nations. But the museum, which spreads across two buildings, also has impressive displays of ancient American art, a stellar Asian collection, textiles and photography and modern American and European paintings among its collections. When the architecturally intriguing Frederic C. Hamilton Building opened in 2006, designed by renowned architect Daniel Libeskind, the museum itself became part of the art it offers. Now, the fully renovated and expanded Gio Ponti designed Martin Building will reopen Oct. 24 (a free day). DAM's museum shop is fantastic (say yes to holiday shopping) and there are excellent family and children's programs in English and Spanish. The new Martin Building includes a full-service lunch restaurant and quick-service cafe. Check the museum website for entry info, which has been changing due to COVID.
- Tue-Thu,: Sat-Sun; 10am-5pm
- Fri: 10am-8pm
- Adult $10 - $13; Senior $8 - $10; Student $8 - $10; Child (0-18) Free
- Free Things to Do: "All year long, general admission is free to children 18 and under, and you can check the museum's website for the selected free days for adults during the year."
- Museums: "Ask about Create-N-Takes, facilitated drop-in activities offered weekdays during school breaks and weekends during the school year. Kids create a variety of themed projects and take them home."
- Best Attractions & Activities: "As you meander through the Frederic C. Hamilton Building, consider how the angled walls force curators to get creative when hanging and displaying artwork. If you visit with children on a weekend, ask for a family backpack; they're filled with interactive games and guides that ramp up the fun factor as you explore."
- Best for Free Things to Do Because: It's Denver's premier art museum and one of the most impressive art museums west of the Mississippi--and it has free days every month.
- Best for Museums Because: It's the largest art museum between Chicago and the West Coast and offers incredible family programs and art collections.
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: DAM holds its own against any museum in the country, and is an architectural marvel.