Also Featured In
Cuisine: South American
On a busy corner of South Broadway, Maria Empanada is an oasis of deliciousness and charm. Empanadas come from the ovens morning to night, both sweet and savory. The menu also includes veggie-filled... Read More
On a busy corner of South Broadway, Maria Empanada is an oasis of deliciousness and charm. Empanadas come from the ovens morning to night, both sweet and savory. The menu also includes veggie-filled "tartas" made from an old family recipe, as well as Spanish tortillas made with organic eggs. There's a limited selection of wine and beer to pair with these Argentine delights. Nothing fancy here. The empanadas come in a basket that you take to the table yourself. The whole place opens up to the sidewalk and there are tables outside, though the traffic somewhat diminishes the appeal of sitting there. Nothing, however, diminishes the excellent empanadas and friendly ambiance of the place.
- Best Value: "Need an espresso? You can get an excellent cup here, in addition to a choice of beer or wine."
- Lunch: "In the mornings, go for excellent coffee and sweet pastries, such as the delectable ricotta cake or any empanadita with dulce de leche, or go bold with breakfast empanadas stuffed with egg, cheese and a variety of meats including chorizo."
- Best Restaurants: "Each type of empanada is made in a different shape; you'll find the chart at your table in case you forget which is which."
- Recommended as Best Value Because: Maria Empanadas offers true value, serving up superb empanadas and tortes in a nice atmosphere at a great price.
- Best for Lunch Because: Maria's focuses on one thing, empanadas, and does so with artistry and perfection.
- Recommended as Best Restaurants Because: Not every great restaurant is upscale and pricey. Maria Empanada offers excellent food and service in a low-key atmosphere at a very affordable price.