Denver Union Station
Type: Historic Sites
Why should a train station be on Denver's top attractions list? Simply put, it's more than a station. Yes, Amtrak trains come and go and Union Station serves as a hub for local buses and light rail.... Read More
Why should a train station be on Denver's top attractions list? Simply put, it's more than a station. Yes, Amtrak trains come and go and Union Station serves as a hub for local buses and light rail. But it's also Denver history remade, a gorgeous Beaux Art building meticulously renovated and reopened with shops, restaurants from top local chefs, two bars, a boutique hotel and more. It's a place to gather before or after a baseball game--perhaps at Terminal Bar, set where passengers once bought train tickets--or at any of the excellent restaurants inside or out. There's a seasonal farmer's market Saturdays on the station plaza, and come winter Union Station is a setting for holiday markets and events. Souvenir? Check out the station's retail shops. Or just grab a coffee to go and sit in the Great Hall, where the Wi-Fi and people watching are free.
- Best Attractions & Activities: "Check out the huge chandeliers and wall sconces. Which ones are original to the building? The wall sconces–"but the new chandeliers were made to fit in seamlessly, reflecting the historic detailing of the sconces."
- Free Things to Do: "If you get tired of working on your iPad or mobile device, duck into one of the excellent restaurants in Union Station for a bite and a beverage, especially at happy hour."
- Sightseeing: "See the beginning of Union Station's transformation in a photo by Giff Ewing. The image of the Great Hall with a maze of scaffolding hangs near The Crawford Hotel front desk."
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: Union Station is the centerpiece of Denver's LoDo neighborhood, and not just a transportation center but a gathering place for food, drink and camaraderie.
- Best for Free Things to Do Because: In addition to being a transportation hub, Union Station is a place to work and play thanks to free Wi-Fi and a free fountain.
- Best for Sightseeing Because: Union Station is a must-see, a magnificent historic building filled with engaging art, shops, restaurants, bars and cozy places to gather.