Also Featured In
Photo courtesy of 5/09 from the website: http://www.redrocksonline.com/pages/media/media_pics.html
Photo courtesy of Joe Hendricks
Red Rocks Park and Amphitheatre
Type: Cultural Venues, Outdoor Activities, Parks
Experience the dramatic formations of Denver's celebrated Red Rocks Park and Amphitheatre, part of the city's Mountain Parks collection, for free. Red Rocks combines 640 acres of natural geological... Read More
Experience the dramatic formations of Denver's celebrated Red Rocks Park and Amphitheatre, part of the city's Mountain Parks collection, for free. Red Rocks combines 640 acres of natural geological wonders with a concert venue acclaimed for its stunning acoustics. Although concerts aren't free, much of the park is, including the massive red sandstone formations, some more than 250 million years old and 300 feet high. Two moderate trails offer worthy photo ops and exercise. A longer trail is also accessed here. Don't miss the Visitor Center providing a wealth of information on the park, plus the Colorado Music Hall of Fame on the lower level detailing the impressive history of music at Red Rocks. The famed Easter sunrise service is a free annual event, and those wanting a free robust workout at 6,400 feet can join the throngs who challenge themselves on the amphitheater steps at designated times.
- Park and Amphitheatre: Daily 5am-11pm
- Visitor Ctr - April-Oct.: Daily 7am-7pm
- Visitor Ctr - Nov-March: Daily 9am-4pm
- Contact for Specific Dates and Times
- Park Free
Concert tickets vary
- Free Things to Do: "Yoga on the Rocks is not free but is an experience any yoga lover should try. Tickets are available online only, no walk-ins permitted."
- Parks: "Although the two trails within the park are short, they traverse some rough terrain so wear or bring good hiking boots/shoes for exploring."
- Best Attractions & Activities: "Arrive early; there's one road in and it gets crowded. Expect to walk a ways to your seats. Comfortable shoes are a must, as are water (the park sits 6,400 feet above sea level) and layers of clothes for changing weather. You can bring in food but read the park's list of permitted and prohibited items first."
- Sightseeing: "While attending a music performance shows off Red Rocks at its best, it's also a great place to explore during the day and when nothing is happening except stunning natural scenery."
- Best for Free Things to Do Because: Red Rocks Amphitheatre is one of the most celebrated music venues in the world, but the park also offers hiking, walking, fitness training and exploring.
- Best for Parks Because: It's one of the top music venues on the planet, set in a park with inspiring geologic formations and trails.
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: It is Denver's one-of-a-kind star attraction and one of the most memorable days or evenings you'll ever spend.
- Best for Sightseeing Because: Although it's not in Denver proper, it's part of the city's parks system. In other words, it's a patch of the city in the foothills.