Red Rocks Park and Amphitheatre
Type: Cultural Venues, Outdoor Activities, Parks
It's called the most acoustically perfect natural amphitheater on the planet. But it's not just the exceptional acoustics and music played here that make Red Rocks so special. Dinosaurs once roamed... Read More
It's called the most acoustically perfect natural amphitheater on the planet. But it's not just the exceptional acoustics and music played here that make Red Rocks so special. Dinosaurs once roamed this geologically compelling landscape; did they hear one another's rumbling grunts from far, far below? We'll never know. But we do know that to sit among the towering sandstone formations as the music rises against the backdrop of a sunset or billions of stars, Denver's lights twinkling below, is an experience found nowhere else on earth. If you haven't experienced Red Rocks, you haven't experienced the best of Denver. Better yet, It's not just about the music. Red Rocks is a 738-acre park with hiking trails, a visitor center, trading post, and the Colorado Music Hall of Fame. Locals work out on the amphitheatre steps, and there are yoga classes, movies and a spectacular non-denominational Easter sunrise service, too.
Hours:Due to COVID-19, please check with the attraction for the most recent updates to their opening hours.
- Park Free
Concert tickets vary
- Best Attractions & Activities: "Arrive early for concerts; there's just one road in. Expect to walk a ways to your seats. Comfortable shoes are a must, as are water (the park sits 6,400 feet above sea level) and layers of clothes for changing weather. You can bring in food but read the park's list of permitted and prohibited items first."
- Free Things to Do: "Yoga on the Rocks is not free but is an experience any yoga lover should try. Tickets are available online only, no walk-ins permitted."
- Parks: "Although the two trails within the park are short, they traverse some rough terrain so wear or bring good hiking boots/shoes for exploring."
- Sightseeing: "While attending a music performance shows off Red Rocks at its best, it's also a great place to explore during the day and when nothing is happening except stunning natural scenery."
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: It is Denver's one-of-a-kind star attraction and one of the most memorable days or evenings you'll ever spend.
- Best for Free Things to Do Because: Red Rocks Amphitheatre is one of the most celebrated music venues in the world, but the park also offers hiking, walking, fitness training and exploring.
- Best for Parks Because: It's one of the top music venues on the planet, set in a park with inspiring geologic formations and trails.
- Best for Sightseeing Because: Although it's not in Denver proper, it's part of the city's parks system. In other words, it's a patch of the city in the foothills.