Also Featured In
Photo courtesy of 5/09 from the website: http://www.redrocksonline.com/pages/media/media_pics.html
Photo courtesy of Joe Hendricks
Red Rocks Park and Amphitheatre
Type: Cultural Venues, Outdoor Activities, Parks
You can experience the dramatic formations of Denver's highly celebrated Red Rocks Park and Amphitheatre, part of Denver's Mountain Parks collection, for free. Red Rocks combines 640 acres of natural... Read More
You can experience the dramatic formations of Denver's highly celebrated Red Rocks Park and Amphitheatre, part of Denver's Mountain Parks collection, for free. Red Rocks combines 640 acres of natural geological wonders with a concert and event venue known for its stunning acoustics. Although concerts aren't free, much of the park is, including the dramatic ancient red sandstone formations, some more than 250 million years old and 300 feet high. Two relatively short, moderate trails within the park provide worthy photo ops and exercise at 6,400 feet above sea level. A longer trail is also accessed here. Don't miss the park's Visitor Center, which provides a wealth of information on all that makes Red Rocks special. The park's famed Easter sunrise service is a free annual event, and Yoga on the Rocks is just $1, way less than your average caffe Americano.
- Park and Amphitheatre: Daily 5am-11pm
- Visitor Ctr - April-Oct.: Daily 7am-7pm
- Visitor Ctr - Nov-March: Daily 9am-4pm
- Contact for Specific Dates and Times
- Park Free
Concert tickets vary
- Free Things to Do: "To learn more about music in Colorado, check out the Colorado Music Hall of Fame at The Trading Post."
- Parks: "Although the two trails within the park are short, they traverse some rough terrain so wear or bring good hiking boots/shoes for exploring."
- Best Attractions & Activities: "Arrive early; there's one road in and it gets crowded. Expect to walk a ways to your seats. Comfortable shoes are a must, as are water (the park sits 6,400 feet above sea level) and layers of clothes for changing weather. You can bring in food but read the park's list of permitted and prohibited items first."
- Sightseeing: "While attending a music performance shows off Red Rocks at its best, it's also a great place to explore during the day and when nothing is happening except stunning natural scenery."
- Best for Free Things to Do Because: Red Rocks Amphitheatre is one of the most celebrated music venues in the world, but the park itself also offers excellent hiking, walking and exploring.
- Best for Parks Because: It's one of the top music venues on the planet, set in a park with inspiring geologic formations and trails.
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: It is Denver's one-of-a-kind star attraction and one of the most memorable days or evenings you'll ever spend.
- Best for Sightseeing Because: Although it's not in Denver proper, it's part of the city's parks system. In other words, it's a patch of the city in the foothills.