Explore Costa Rica
Type: Art Galleries, Gift Stores
Tucked into a small storefront on a side street in downtown San Jose is Galer�a Namu, where all items in the shop are handmade by talented artists and fairly traded, which means that each... Read More
Tucked into a small storefront on a side street in downtown San Jose is Galer�a Namu, where all items in the shop are handmade by talented artists and fairly traded, which means that each purchase directly supports indigenous artists and encourages them to continue creating. Within a cozy space a stone's throw from the Jade Musuem, the gallery offers a wide variety of tribal art collectibles and hand- crafted items such as masks, tagua, (intricately carved vegetable ivory) and pre-Columbian pottery, woven baskets, and paintings. Museum quality goods are available at affordable prices, making Galer�a Namu an ideal site for souvenir shopping, home decor, and special occasion gifts.
Avenida 7 between Calles 5 & 7
- San José's Best Shopping: "Galer�a Namu will arrange tours to visit indigenous groups of artisans."
- Best Shopping: "Galería Namu will arrange tours to visit indigenous groups of artisans."
- Christmas Shopping: "Galer�a Namu has an online shop that highlights the collection and may help inspire a real visit. http://galerianamu.com/category/shop"
- Best for San José's Best Shopping Because: It's stocked with the best collection of Boruca masks and tagua figurines.
- Recommended as Best Shopping Because: Unique gifts for the collector of souvenirs with a story.
- Best for Christmas Shopping Because: If you shop early enough in the season, you can have the gallery ship your delicate gifts already wrapped.