Explore Costa Rica
Also Featured In
Photo courtesy of Sophia LaMonica
Perched on the edge of the coral reef overlooking the beautiful coast of Cahuita, Sobre las Olas is a perfect little restaurant that has excellent food to match its ambience. The best seats are... Read More
Perched on the edge of the coral reef overlooking the beautiful coast of Cahuita, Sobre las Olas is a perfect little restaurant that has excellent food to match its ambience. The best seats are outside nestled between the palm trees, where mussels on the half shell and ceviche are fine appetizers to get you in the mood for an excellent meal. Italian owners have created a menu with the home country's influence but focused on fresh local ingredients and expertly prepared seafood. If you haven't happened upon it while visiting Cahuita, it's worth asking to be pointed in the right direction and is a pleasant stroll just north of town. Bonus: There is a full bar here, too.
on the beach road just north of Cahuita center
- Romantic Dining, Beach Restaurants, Outdoor Dining, Best Restaurants: "Grab a table outside and enjoy the view."
- Italian: "Slow down and enjoy slurping mussels while sitting over the waves."
- Seafood: "Snag a table outside and enjoy the view."
- Lunch: "Dine before sunset and opt for a table on the sand outside."
- Local Flavor: "Just when you think this place couldn't be much further along the coastal road as it heads north from Cahuita, there it is. Grab a table outside and enjoy the view."
- Farm to Table: "Score a table outside in the sand and enjoy the view."
- Best for Romantic Dining Because: If you score a seaside table at sunset, the rest of the evening will come naturally.
- Best for Beach Restaurants Because: The precious few tables outside on the sand enjoy an unbeatable view of Playa Blanca.
- Best for Outdoor Dining Because: The tables in the sand are the most coveted spots at Sobre las Olas.
- Best for Italian Because: Italy meets Costa Rica in this cozy restaurant in Cahuita.
- Best for Seafood Because: Succulent ceviche and magnificent mussels are among the reasons.
- Best for Lunch Because: A waterfront view of the Caribbean and delicious mussels make for a memorable meal.
- Best for Local Flavor Because: The flavors here reflect the Costa Rican Italian union of the husband and wife team behind this romantic local favorite.
- Best for Farm to Table Because: Fresh seafood is sourced steps away from the tables on the sand.
- Recommended as Best Restaurants Because: Tasting the seaside ceviche as the sun goes down at Sobre Las Olas is a uniquely Cahuita experience.