Explore Costa Rica
Lankester Botanical Gardens
Type: Active, Attractions, Family Friendly, Uniquely Here
The Lankester Botanical Gardens (Jardín Botánico Lankester) was created in 1973 as a center for the exhibition, conservation and research of tropical air plants, with an empahsis on orchids.... Read More
The Lankester Botanical Gardens (Jardín Botánico Lankester) was created in 1973 as a center for the exhibition, conservation and research of tropical air plants, with an empahsis on orchids. Recognized worldwide for its stunning collections of bromeliads, orchids, and other air plants, the Lankester Botanical Garden takes up 11 hectares , hosting more than 3,000 species of plants. On the walking trail, look for sloths eating in the trees above the extra large leaves of the Cecropia tree. Hours: 9:00 a.m. with last entry at 3:30 p.m. every day except for the Easter holiday week, Christmas and New Years day. Entrance fee is approximately $3, with discounts for students.
4 KM from the Cartago highway, turn right at the sign for Paraiso Derecha, 300 m south, turn right 200 m
- Best for Sightseeing Because: Orchid enthusiasts aren't the only ones who'll appreciate the exotic flower collections on display here.
- Best for Romantic Things to Do Because: The essence of the orchid collection stirs the senses beyond the botanical garden.
- Best for Cartago's Best Attractions Because: The gift shop sells some orchids that are pre-approved for export by both Costa Rican and US Agricultural authorities.
- Best for Tours and Excursions Because: Costa Rica's orchids are internationally prized and this collection shows off why.
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: A visit to Lankester Botanical Garden's 3000 species orchid collection is a boon for flower enthusiasts.