Explore Costa Rica
Also Featured In
Photo courtesy of Sophia LaMonica
Playa Chiquita is a small stretch of coast with a narrow white sand beach and calm water that is often ideal for snorkeling in between the coral reef. This is the most hidden beach in the area, due to... Read More
Playa Chiquita is a small stretch of coast with a narrow white sand beach and calm water that is often ideal for snorkeling in between the coral reef. This is the most hidden beach in the area, due to the dense rainforest that separates the water's edge from the road, and a lack of signage- but that's part of why it stays so special. A few trails lead to secluded coves and sparsely populated beaches lined with palms and coconut trees. During high season, Playa Chiquita is popular for families, dogs, and nudists, who come to play in the gentle water.
5km South of Puerto Viejo de Limon
- Outdoor Activities: "Look for the path across to the beach across from El Duende Gourmet Market."
- Romantic Things to Do: "Book a stay at one of the small lodges with access to this truly secluded beach."
- Free Things to Do, Beaches: "Pick up snacks at El Duende Gourmet Market on the main road, and ask there how to find a path leading to the coast."
- Best for Outdoor Activities Because: For families with children this beach is worth seeking out.
- Best for Romantic Things to Do Because: Two can dip toes into tide pools and frolic in the buff beneath coconut trees.
- Best for Free Things to Do Because: Discover the beautiful tide pools and secluded coves just south of town, all free to explore.
- Best for Beaches Because: Playa Chiquita is perfect for little kids and families who enjoy privacy.