Explore Costa Rica
Price Range: $
La Criollita is an excellent place for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and has something on the menu for everyone. The fare is traditional Costa Rican; generous portions of meat, chicken and fish with... Read More
La Criollita is an excellent place for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and has something on the menu for everyone. The fare is traditional Costa Rican; generous portions of meat, chicken and fish with rice, beans and salad on the side, and big selection of delicious appetizers like Tico-style ceviche and a tasty chicken soup to whet the appetite. There are three dining spaces, a main room that overlooks the big and busy kitchen, a bright and airy side room with art-filled walls, and a charming covered outdoor terrace with a bird garden and wrought iron furniture. There is rarely a wait for a table, but lunch time fills up early with nearby business people, so breakfast and dinner are ideal for settling into a relaxing meal. The coffee is excellent, too,save room for dessert; checkout the options like flan and cheesecake on display under the glass on your way in. Bonus: Full Bar.
Avenida. 7, Calles 7-9
- San José's Best Restaurants, Breakfast, Group Friendly, Family Friendly, Homestyle, Outdoor Dining, Italian, Local Flavor, Best Restaurants: ""Express Breakfast" specials can't be beat: try the gallo pinto with tropical fruit, eggs, toast, coffee and juice for a song."
- Lunch: ""Express Breakfast" specials are a bargain and include gallo pinto and fresh cheese."
- Best for San José's Best Restaurants Because: La Criollita is original that's an essential stop in San Jose.
- Best for Breakfast Because: Traditional Costa Rican breakfasts are done just right in this busy open kitchen.
- Best for Group Friendly Because: Large round tables in the main dining room are designed to seat small groups.
- Best for Family Friendly Because: This little original has plenty of room for families in its two dining rooms.
- Best for Homestyle Because: Generous portions of traditional Costa Rican cuisine will have you feeling right at home in San Jose.
- Best for Outdoor Dining Because: Opting for the outdoor patio makes the meal even more memorable.
- Best for Italian Because: Even though there may not be Italian food on the menu, the strong coffee and full bar make Italians feel right at home.
- Best for Lunch Because: Wholesome Costa Rican traditional cuisine is done just right here, and a full bar delivers perfect Cuba Libres.
- Best for Local Flavor Because: Taste traditional Costa Rican flavors here and rub shoulders with the locals who come for lunch.
- Recommended as Best Restaurants Because: Traditional Costa Rican dishes are done just right at this family-friendly favorite.