Also Featured In
Photo courtesy of 1/09 original was too large to upload
Given its name by President Teddy Roosevelt, The White House boasts 132 rooms, 35 bathrooms and six levels in the residence. The 55,000-square-foot home has served as a safe harbor for U.S. Presidents... Read More
Given its name by President Teddy Roosevelt, The White House boasts 132 rooms, 35 bathrooms and six levels in the residence. The 55,000-square-foot home has served as a safe harbor for U.S. Presidents since 1800 and welcomed leaders and dignitaries from around the world. Decisions on World Wars, crises and ground breaking policies have all taken place behind these walls. While it is famously missing its cornerstone, the historic site also features a tennis court, jogging track, swimming pool, movie theater, billiard room and bowling alley. White is a tough color to keep clean and it takes 570 gallons of paint to cover the outside walls. METRO: Federal Triangle or Metro Center
- Tours: Tue-Thu 7:30am-11am; Fri 7:30am-Noon; Sat 7:30am-1pm
- White House Visitor's Center: Daily 7:30am-4pm
- Free Things to Do: "Tickets are in short supply so book as far in advance as possible."
- Best Attractions & Activities: "You can get free tickets to tour parts of The White House. Just go through the office of your member of Congress or Embassy if not a U.S. citizen. A tour must be planned far in advance and tickets go on a first-come, first-serve basis."
- Sightseeing, Historic Sites: "If you would like a tour, go through your congressional member's office to receive free tickets. Make sure to call months in advance."
- Best for Free Things to Do Because: No trip to the nation's capital is complete without a visit to this famous house.
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: This is the most famous house in America (Sorry Kardashians)and has housed every U.S. President and thier family except George Washington.
- Best for Sightseeing Because: You can't come to Washington, D.C. and not get a selfie of yourself smiling in front of America's House.
- Best for Historic Sites Because: No other site in the nation's capital has as much historical significance as The White House.