George Washington's Mount Vernon
Type: Historic Sites
Known as America's first home, George Washington's Mount Vernon Estate and Gardens, just outside of Washington, D.C., features a mansion, outbuildings, gardens, animals, a distillery and gristmill,... Read More
Known as America's first home, George Washington's Mount Vernon Estate and Gardens, just outside of Washington, D.C., features a mansion, outbuildings, gardens, animals, a distillery and gristmill, and a four-acre farm. What was once an active plantation is now a bustling tourist attraction. Visitors may purchase tickets to one of several different tours offered throughout the year including a guided tour of the mansion and see the first president's garden and landscaping designs for the grounds. Washington took his last breath inside the mansion's master bedroom in 1799 and the estate serves as his final resting place. His wife Martha and other relatives are also buried in The Tomb.
3200 Mount Vernon Memorial Hwy
Mount Vernon, VA 22121
Hours:Due to COVID-19, please check with the attraction for the most recent updates to their opening hours.
- Adult $20; Senior (62+) $19; Child (6-11) $10; Child (5 and under) Free
- Best Attractions & Activities: "It is said that George Washington was a dog lover and so is his estate. Dogs may also come along on your visit. Just make sure to clean up after them."
- Things to Do in December: "You can take oodles of pictures around the estate but put those cameras away once you step inside George and Martha's house. Photography is prohibited in their home."
- Historic Sites: "Spring is the busiest season so if you don't like crowds avoid the landmark during March, April and May."
- Museums: "A majority of your visit will be spent outdoors so dress accordingly."
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: When not leading armies and helping to birth the nation, George Washington spent five decades expanding the mansion his father built in 1735.
- Best for Things to Do in December Because: In an area that cherishes history, Christmas at Mount Vernon is a fun event to see how the holiday was celebrated more than 200 years ago.
- Best for Historic Sites Because: A great place to learn more about the man who helped form and lead the nation during its infancy.
- Best for Museums Because: Mount Vernon is the most popular historic estate in the country and offers a great glimpse at George Washington's life after the presidency.