National Gallery of Art
Type: Art Museums, Museums
We have all seen paper copies of fine works of art hanging in homes and businesses. Once, you step inside the National Gallery of Art, you get to see the real pieces for your own eyes. The west... Read More
We have all seen paper copies of fine works of art hanging in homes and businesses. Once, you step inside the National Gallery of Art, you get to see the real pieces for your own eyes. The west building features early European and American works and boasts the only painting by Leonardo Da Vinci in the Americas. Meander over to the east building to take in contemporary artwork including Henri Matisse, Jackson Pollock and Pablo Picasso. For those coming here in the winter months, head over to the museum's garden ice rink where you can rent skates and take lessons. But don't leave without taking a picture by Robert Indiana's AMOR sculpture also in the gardens. METRO: Smithsonian
- East: &
- West: Buildings; Mon-Sat; 10am-5pm
- Sun: 11am-6pm Sculpture; Garden; Mon-Sat; 10am-5pm
- Sun: 11am-6pm; (extended; summer; hours)
- Best for Romantic Things to Do Because: Whether you enjoy seeing priceless works of art or holding hands while you skate, this gallery is worth a date night.
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: Priceless works of art from some of the most renowned artists to ever walk the planet can be found here.
- Best for Museums Because: If you open an art history book, many of pieces you will find are located in this museum.