Also Featured In
Photo courtesy of iStock / steinphoto
National Zoological Park
Type: Family Friendly, Zoos
Lions, monkeys and elephants, oh my! Located in Northwest Washington, D.C., The National Zoological Park features a variety of mammals, reptiles and amphibians. The stars of the show are the pandas,... Read More
Lions, monkeys and elephants, oh my! Located in Northwest Washington, D.C., The National Zoological Park features a variety of mammals, reptiles and amphibians. The stars of the show are the pandas, especially Bei Bei who is the youngest. Fans will line the fences at their exhibit with large telephoto lenses to capture every panda movement. The best part is visitors get to see all of these unique animals from around the world for free. Make sure you wear good walking shoes because the 163-acre park has hills. Also, don't stand under the ropes when the orangutans are on the move. You will thank me later!
3001 Connnecticut Ave NW
Washington, DC 20008
- Apr - Oct Daily 10am-6pm
- Nov - Mar Daily 10am-4:30pm
Parking $10 - $20
- Outdoor Activities, Sightseeing: "While the zoo buildings don't open until 10 a.m., you can still come early to see some animals in their outdoor environments."
- Free Things to Do: "While the buildings don't open until 10 a.m., you can still go early to see animals kept outdoors like the pandas and lion."
- Best Attractions & Activities: "Come before the 10 a.m. opening. The buildings will not be open but you can see many animals in their outdoor habitats and you most likely will get a good parking spot."
- Things to Do with Kids: "Come before the 10 a.m. opening to see animals that have outdoor exhibits before the crowd show up."
- Best for Outdoor Activities Because: See some of the world's most fascinating mammals, reptiles and amphibians in one of the best zoos in the country.
- Best for Free Things to Do Because: Have you ever seen another free zoo with this caliber of animals? Not likely.
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: Two words: Panda bears. The National Zoological Park is one of just a few places in the country to host pandas.
- Best for Sightseeing Because: Few zoos in the United States have pandas so be sure to get some pictures of the four-legged cuties.
- Best for Things to Do with Kids Because: Where else in the U.S. can you see mammals, reptiles and amphibians from around the world for free?