Explore Fort Lauderdale
Also Featured In
Type: Historic Sites
Sitting on its original site among the gleaming modern high rises of downtown Fort Lauderdale is Broward County's oldest building and its most popular historical site, Stranahan House. This house is a... Read More
Sitting on its original site among the gleaming modern high rises of downtown Fort Lauderdale is Broward County's oldest building and its most popular historical site, Stranahan House. This house is a classic example of "Florida Frontier" architecture. It speaks of the history of Fort Lauderdale as it was built in 1901 by Frank Stranahan, the area's first permanent white settler, and was first operated as a trading post, set up to service early settlers and Seminole Indians. It contains turn-of-the-century furnishings and historical photos of the area. Daily tours are available at 1, 2 and 3 p.m. and last about 45-60 minutes. No reservations are required.
- Office Hours: Mon-Fri 9:30am-4:30pm
- Tours: Daily 1pm, 2pm, 3pm
- Contact for Specific Dates and Times
- Hours May Vary Seasonally
- Adult $12; Senior $11; Child $7
- Best for Romantic Things to Do Because: A historical local treasure that touches the city's past and gives a connection with the present.
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: It all started right here, and a what a fascinating display of Fort Lauderdale's storied history.
- Best for Family-Friendly Museums Because: This is the very heart of Fort Lauderdale's founding and offers a unique perspective on life here.