Lummus Park Beach
Type: Active, Beaches, Editor's Picks, Free Attractions
Because South Beach is such a broad description, and because the varying beaches here go on for miles, we thought we'd narrow it down. Lummus Park, the area of the beach located along Ocean Drive from... Read More
Because South Beach is such a broad description, and because the varying beaches here go on for miles, we thought we'd narrow it down. Lummus Park, the area of the beach located along Ocean Drive from 5th to 15th Street, is the all-encompassing South Beach experience. This is the strip of sand that is always the most crowded, which makes for excellent people watching. There is a mini playground before the entrance to the beach for children ages two through 5, but they may be just as happy splashing on the shore. With Brazilian bikinis and fluorescent tans as far as the eye can see, adults will likely tire their necks from spinning around doing a double take at colorful locals. Once you've soaked up all of the sun you can possibly fit into one day, the strip of restaurants and bars lining Ocean Drive are close at hand.
- Best Attractions & Activities: "To beat the heat in your car and have a better chance of finding a spot, opt to park in one of the city parking garages. Most charge $2 per hour (with the 7th and Collins garage being the closest). Or try 5th and Alton (which is free for the first 2 hours) if you don't mind a 10-12 minute walk!"
- Free Things to Do: "If you're already staying on the beach, you can always walk or ride a (cheap) Deco Bike on over to Lummus to avoid the parking fees in the area."
- Beaches: "Sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen. After the sunscreen, the best place to park is the garage on 7th Street and Collins Avenue, which charges only $2.00 per hour and is located a few blocks away from Lummus Park. If you've forgotten your sunscreen, this brief walk will allow you to pick up a bottle or two."
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: This is the main reason folks flock to Miami and South Beach. Have you seen these beaches? Blue water, soft sand, and proximity to nightlife!
- Best for Free Things to Do Because: A day at Miami's most famous strip of beach may include tanning, volleyball, swimming, people-watching, and picnicking free of charge.
- Best for Beaches Because: Lummus Park is the reason most people come to Miami. It's the quintessential South Beach experience: tans, bikinis, and nightlife.