Also Featured In
Photo courtesy of used in book.
Type: Historic Sites, Tours and Excursions
Teeming with natural, archaeological and historical appeal, every visit to the Deering Estate proves endlessly engaging. Excavations at the bayfront compound originally owned by Charles Deering (whose... Read More
Teeming with natural, archaeological and historical appeal, every visit to the Deering Estate proves endlessly engaging. Excavations at the bayfront compound originally owned by Charles Deering (whose brother James built the infamous Vizcaya property) have uncovered the remains of prehistoric animals, and evidence suggests that Paleo-Indians were here more than 10,000 years ago. Historic buildings also distinguish the 420-acre property � the 1922 Stone House, Richmond Cottage and 19th-century Richmond Hall. For an altogether different perspective of the estate, reserve a spot on the weekend canoe tour. Deering also has a strong commitment to community and the arts and frequently host events ranging from food and art festivals to lectures and even weddings.
- Daily 10am-4pm
- Adult $12; Child (4-14) $7; Child (3 and under) Free
- Romantic Things to Do: "If you're really strapped, visit your local library and see if they have a free museum pass for Deering, which should be good for one visit within a week for up to four people."
- Holiday Attractions: "Check their online calendar for more info on all special events. And don't forget your camera--their classic, holiday decor is second to none."
- Best for Romantic Things to Do Because: Pristine bay views and classic architecture...If it's good enough to be a wedding venue, it's good enough for a date.
- Best for Holiday Attractions Because: This year's holiday programming includes story time and photos with Santa, a festive wreath-making workshop, Holiday Bay Cruise, the Mistletoe and Martinis benefit, and more!