Collier Museum at Government Center
Type: Historic Sites, History Museums, Museums
While visiting museums is not a typical activity for visitors to Naples, Florida, this one is a must-see for those interested in the multi-textured bygones of Collier County. Impressive indoor... Read More
While visiting museums is not a typical activity for visitors to Naples, Florida, this one is a must-see for those interested in the multi-textured bygones of Collier County. Impressive indoor vignettes and an outdoor historical park take you through eras of prehistoric animals and peoples, Spanish exploration, Seminole Indians and Seminole Wars, pioneer settlement, logging, the building of Tamiami Trail, pineapple farming, fishing, World War II and modern development and tourism. Highlights include a logging locomotive, vintage swamp buggy, recreated Seminole village and war fort and early homes. One of the latter contains a taxidermy collection of local fish, birds and other wildlife.
- Tue-Sat 9am-4pm
- Free; Donations Appreciated
- Things to Do with Kids, Best Attractions & Activities: "Admission to the museum is free to all. It lies close to the Naples Depot Museum, which is also free admission."
- Free Things to Do: "The morning hours are the least crowded and coolest time to explore the museum grounds."
- Museums: "In early March, the museum hosts its Old Florida Festival, a weekend of historic re-enactments and demonstrations."
- Best for Things to Do with Kids Because: In a park setting, it has natural kid magnets such as a prehistoric giant sloth skeleton, fort, locomotive and swamp buggy.
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: One of a handful of county historical museums, this is the original and most comprehensive.
- Best for Free Things to Do Because: It is the best historical museum in the county, hands down; admission is free, but donations are accepted.
- Best for Museums Because: The Naples' area first and definitive historical museum, it presents history in an entertaining fashion.