Henry B. Plant Museum
Type: History Museums, Museums
Built in 1891 by railroad magnate Henry B. Plant, this history museum is located in what was originally the Tampa Bay Hotel, an extravagant resort that drew such guests as Teddy Roosevelt and Babe... Read More
Built in 1891 by railroad magnate Henry B. Plant, this history museum is located in what was originally the Tampa Bay Hotel, an extravagant resort that drew such guests as Teddy Roosevelt and Babe Ruth. Now home to the University of Tampa, Plant's accomplishment is made all the more amazing when you realize that when it was built, the hotel was surrounded only by swampland. Now exquisitely restored, the hotel's striking minarets architecture, lavish furnishings and vibrant gardens provide a rare glimpse into the early years of Florida tourism. Sure, it makes returning to a modern-day hotel room a bit sad, but this Moorish beauty is a definite must-see.
- Tue-Sat: 10am-5pm
- Sun: Noon-5pm Hours; May; Vary; Seasonally
- Adult $10; Senior $7; Student $7; Child (4-12) $5
- Things to Do in December: "Visitors can enjoy an early and less crowded view of decorations between November 19 –" 30 (closed Mondays and Thanksgiving)."
- Best Attractions & Activities: "Take a few minutes to enjoy a stroll through the lovely riverfront gardens known as Plant Park."
- Romantic Things to Do: "After exploring the museum, check out the lobby next door and take a stroll through the grounds, now part of the University of Tampa."
- Museums: "Make sure to stop by their museum store featuring unique, period gifts."
- Sightseeing: "Make sure to stop by their amazing museum store that features a great selection of Victorian-inspired gifts and items created by local artists."
- Attractions near Cruise Port, Family-Friendly Museums: "Make sure you take in the beautiful grounds of the former hotel while you're there."
- Attractions near Amalie Arena: "Make sure to stop by their amazing museum store."
- Best for Things to Do in December Because: Tampa's Henry B. Plant Museum hosts a charming and festive Victorian Christmas Stroll December 1-23 that takes visitors on a nostalgic journey through holidays past.
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: Preserving the glamorous history of the opulent Tampa Bay Hotel, built in a Moorish-Revival style, this museum is where you will find Tampa's iconic minarets.
- Best for Romantic Things to Do Because: The Henry B. Plant Museum recreates the romance and opulence of the extravagant and historic Tampa Bay Hotel.
- Best for Museums Because: Return to the gilded age as you explore the exquisite Tampa Bay Hotel and its famous minarets at the Henry B. Plant Museum.
- Best for Sightseeing Because: The Plant Museum is located in Tampa's most iconic historic building and illustrates the glamorous past of the once opulent hotel.
- Best for Attractions near Cruise Port Because: A former luxury hotel, the Henry B. Plant Museum showcases Tampa's gilded age and is located just a few minutes drive from the cruise port.
- Best for Attractions near Amalie Arena Because: Just across the Hillsborough River is the Henry B. Plant museum that celebrates Tampa's golden age.
- Best for Family-Friendly Museums Because: The Henry B. Plant Museum showcases Tampa's gilded age, transporting visitors back in time to experience the opulence of the Tampa Bay Hotel.
Find the 10Best nearby: