Type: Cemetery, Historic Sites, Sightseeing
A visit to a cemetery might not immediately come to mind as a romantic outing, but Bonaventure is no ordinary cemetery. The storied 150-year-old resting place of many of Savannah's glitterati, perched... Read More
A visit to a cemetery might not immediately come to mind as a romantic outing, but Bonaventure is no ordinary cemetery. The storied 150-year-old resting place of many of Savannah's glitterati, perched on a bluff overlooking the Wilmington River was once the site of Bonaventure Plantation. Striking sculptures, monuments and elaborate burial vaults adorn the 160-acres dotted by graceful, moss-draped live oak trees. Visitors can explore mid-19th century gravesites with breathtaking views of the nearby river, or venture further to the Greenwich section and hike the area with its reflection pond, river and marsh. The newer Greenwich section was once the scene of early 20th-century silent films.
330 Bonaventure Rd
Savannah, GA 31404
Hours:Due to COVID-19, please check with the attraction for the most recent updates to their opening hours.
- Romantic Things to Do: "Shannon Scott Tours offers daytime and evening tours, offering a fascinating peek into the cemetery's history and folklore."
- Best Attractions & Activities: "If you'd prefer a guided tour of Bonaventure, sign up with for a cemetery tour with Shannon Scott Tours. The company's daytime and evening tours give a fascinating glimpse into the cemetery's history and folklore. Try to book a tour with Shannon himself as he's an enthralling "storyist.""
- Best for Romantic Things to Do Because: Sweeping views of the river, historic gravesites and graceful live oak trees give the afterlife a romantic aura at Bonaventure Cemetery.
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: If you're interested in haunted places, this venerable cemetery offers some good chills.
- Best for Sightseeing Because: Bonaventure Cemetery is arguably one of the most picturesque burial grounds in the Southeast. The 19th-century cemetery has breathtaking river views and fascinating historic tombstones.
- Best for Free Things to Do Because: Overlooking the Wilmington River and teeming with breathtaking live oak trees, Bonaventure Cemetery is one of the most beautiful cemeteries in Savannah--and anywhere.
- Best for Historic Sites Because: Historic Bonaventure Cemetery has gravesites dating back to the mid-1800s including those of several notable Savannahians. The cemetery's live oak trees and waterfront views are magnificent.