Type: Family Friendly, Historic Sites, Parks, Public Spaces, Romantic, Sightseeing
Savannah is dotted with romantic sites, but romance is around every corner the city' network of lush parks with their winding trails shaded by canopies of live oaks, dogwoods and blooming magnolias.... Read More
Savannah is dotted with romantic sites, but romance is around every corner the city' network of lush parks with their winding trails shaded by canopies of live oaks, dogwoods and blooming magnolias. When Gen. James Edward Oglethorpe founded Savannah in 1733, he planned the city around four open squares, based on a series of grids. Today, there are 22 scenic squares, showcasing Savannah's past with beautiful monuments and often lined by historic mansions. The oldest, Johnson Square, was the first to be laid out by Gen. Oglethorpe and is home to the monument to Revolutionary War hero Gen. Nathanael Green. Chippewa Square, laid out in 1815 honors Oglethorpe with a magnificent bronze equestrian statue. The most beautiful square in the city is Monterey Square, located on Bull Street, where a monument honoring Count Casimir Pulaski is located. The squares celebrate Savannah's history, yet have become a popular spot for weddings.
- Romantic Things to Do: "Be sure to save some time to explore at least one of these romantic squares. You won't be sorry!"
- Best Attractions & Activities: "If you don't have much time, start at Monterey Square at Bull and Taylor streets and walk north through Madison, Chippewa, Wright and Johnson squares. This will give you an overview of Savannah's charming squares without having to put in the extra hours."
- Best for Romantic Things to Do Because: Scenic squares showcase graceful live oak trees, regal monuments and lush green spaces. They're the perfect for spot for romantic strolls, picnics and even weddings.
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: Savannah's squares form the heart and soul of the city and are a "must see" for everyone.
- Free Things to Do: "If your time is limited, then stick to the squares on Bull Street."
- Best for Free Things to Do Because: All you need is a map and a little stamina to spend the day exploring Savannah's squares, which feature interesting monuments, beautiful flora and more.