Type: Art Museums, Children's Museums, Family Friendly, Museums
A grand 19th-century mansion, a contemporary architectural masterpiece and an English Regency-style 195-year-old residence make up the Telfair Museums, three unique art venues in downtown Savannah.... Read More
A grand 19th-century mansion, a contemporary architectural masterpiece and an English Regency-style 195-year-old residence make up the Telfair Museums, three unique art venues in downtown Savannah. Founded through the bequest of prominent citizen Mary Telfair (1791--1875), and operated by the Georgia Historical Society until 1920, the museum opened in 1886 in the Telfair family's renovated Regency-style mansion, known today as the Telfair Academy. The Academy - the oldest public art museum in the South - boasts a fascinating collection of 19th and 20th-century paintings, works on paper, decorative arts and sculptures from the museum's permanent collection. Across the street is the imposing Jepson Center, a modern art museum housing a permanent collection of paintings by renowned artists such as Jasper Johns, Roy Lichtenstein and Robert Rauschenberg. The Jepson Center also houses a 3,500-square-foot interactive gallery for children and families called ArtZeum. Several blocks east is the Owens-Thomas House, an early 19th-century house museum with an impressive decorative arts collection. Admission to the Telfair Academy/Jepson Center and the Owens-Thomas House may be purchased individually or as a package for a better deal.
121 Barnard St
Savannah, GA 31401-3612
- Jepson Center: Sun-Mon Noon-5pm; Tue-Wed, Fri-Sat 10am-5pm; Thu 10am-8pm
- Telfair Academy & Owens-Thomas House: Mon Noon-5pm; Tue-Sat 10am-5pm; Sun 1pm-5pm
- Admission includes a one-time visit to each of the Telfairs' three sites for a week-long period following the date of purchase. Single site admission is $12. Adult $20; Senior $18; Student (6+) $5; Military $18; Child (0-5) Free; Family $40
- Best Attractions & Activities: "While visiting the museum, grab a bite at the elegant Jepson Café, which serves a tasty selection of salads, sandwiches and sides as well as refreshments, including wine."
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: The fascinating collections of museums offers a "one-stop" overview of Savannah's history.