Explore Big Island
Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park
Encompassing 520 square miles, this national park is one of the most photographed locales in the Hawaiian chain. For more than 70 million years, volcanic heat and pressure from inside the earth have... Read More
Encompassing 520 square miles, this national park is one of the most photographed locales in the Hawaiian chain. For more than 70 million years, volcanic heat and pressure from inside the earth have molded the dramatic landscape, which includes Thurston Lava Tube, still-active Halemaumau Crater, and the highly active Pu'u O'o vent, which has been spewing lava since 1983. Visitors are able to drive the park's 66 miles of roadways, which wind in and out of dense tropical rain forest, but are encouraged to stay on guard since volcanic activity is commonplace and conditions change often. There is also the option to explore the more than 155 miles of marked trails on foot. The Kilauea Visitor Center sits just inside the park's main entrance. The park was designated a World Heritage site in 1987.
Old Volcano Rd at Hawai'i Belt Rd
Volcano, HI 96785
- Attractions near Cruise Port: "To make the visit quick, stop by the museum and the crater overlook."
- Best Attractions & Activities: "Dedicate a full day to exploring the park."
- Outdoor Activities, Tours and Excursions, Parks, Things to Do with Kids, Sightseeing: "Dedicate a full day to the park."
- Best for Attractions near Cruise Port Because: Offering hikes, a museum and great views of a still smoking crater, the park is a beautiful place to explore.
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: The national park offers insight into the volcanic world and is home amazing hikes and vistas.
- Best for Outdoor Activities Because: Outdoors lovers can go on hikes in the park, view a steaming crater, and find secluded places for picnics.
Find the 10Best nearby: