Explore Hong Kong
Museum of Coastal Defence
This site dates back over a century, to when Lei Yue Mun Fort was a strategic part of Hong Kong's defenses. It was the scene of fierce fighting during the Japanese invasion on 1941, and later became a... Read More
This site dates back over a century, to when Lei Yue Mun Fort was a strategic part of Hong Kong's defenses. It was the scene of fierce fighting during the Japanese invasion on 1941, and later became a regular barracks. So its current role as a military museum couldn't be more apt. This is a magnificent setting, and the exhibits are both indoors and out, above ground and below. The best way to take it all in is to follow the historical trail which leads visitors around the entire museum. This is probably Hong Kong's largest museum, so allow sufficient time for your visit.
175 Tung Hei Road
- Outdoor Activities, Best Attractions & Activities, Museums, Tours and Excursions: "Don't think this museum is just for military buffs: it's for anyone interested in Hong Kong."
- Best for Outdoor Activities Because: Most of the exhibits are outside, so this is quite an unusual museum.
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: Much of the museum is outdoors, and there are splendid views across the harbor.
- Best for Museums Because: This is as much a viewing platform as it is a museum – indoors and outdoors, this is a great excursion.
- Best for Tours and Excursions Because: This is a really good use of a historic space, and something of a rarity in Hong Kong where old buildings tend to get demolished.
Find the 10Best nearby: