Joffrey Ballet of Chicago
Type: Performing Arts
Every boy and girl should see at least one ballet and the one that keeps the squirming to a minimum is The Joffrey Ballet's wonderful rendition of The Nutcracker. This year's event is the... Read More
Every boy and girl should see at least one ballet and the one that keeps the squirming to a minimum is The Joffrey Ballet's wonderful rendition of The Nutcracker. This year's event is the critically-acclaimed reimagined classic of The Nutcracker by Christopher Wheeldon, winner of the 2015 Tony Award® for Best Choreography. The new production pays homage to Chicago and opens on Christmas Eve, 1893, as workers from around the world construct the Chicago Columbian World's Exposition. The production features the full Joffrey company, local children's choruses and 102 young dancers from Chicago and the surrounding areas. The Chicago Philharmonic provides live musical accompaniment of the beloved Tchaikovsky score. There are 29 performances, Nov. 30-Dec. 29, 2019. This season's production marks the last time The Nutcracker will take place at the Auditorium Theatre since its world premiere in 2016. The Company moves to the Lyric Opera House next season.
- Box Office: Mon-Fri Noon-6pm
- Event Dates and Times Vary
- Performances Vary Call for Details
- Things to Do in December: "Official partner, JW Marriott Chicago, offers a Nutcracker Afternoon High Tea, a festive pre or post-theater experience. Call (312) 660-8200 to book it."
- Best for Things to Do in December Because: It's a fleeting opportunity to dress up and enjoy the ideal shot of holiday culture and artistry at Joffrey's colorful rendition of The Nutcracker.