Also Featured In
Photo courtesy of 3/09 this came from the AIC - KS requested media access
Art Institute of Chicago
Type: Art & Culture, Art Museums, Museums
A highlight of any trip to Chicago, this museum is home to one of the best and most diverse art collections in the world. But there's plenty here that will interest kids, including the Thorne... Read More
A highlight of any trip to Chicago, this museum is home to one of the best and most diverse art collections in the world. But there's plenty here that will interest kids, including the Thorne Miniature Rooms, displays of armor worn by Medieval knights, and the Elizabeth Morse Touch Gallery where children are encouraged to touch art pieces. Adults will be wowed by the Art Institute's vast Impressionist collection, including the world's largest group of Monet paintings. But treasures abound, including the haunting "American Gothic." The contemporary section includes pieces by Picasso, Matisse, Dali, Pollock and Warhol. The temporary shows are also well known and always receive critical acclaim. Kids particularly enjoy the Thorne Rooms, 68 miniature room models with intricately detailed European interiors from the 16th century through the 1930s as well as American furnishings from the 17th century to 1940.
- Fri-Wed: 10:30am-5pm
- Thu: 10:30am-8pm
- Adult $20 - $25; Senior (65) $14 - $19; Student $14 - $19; Child (14-17) Free - $19; Child (14 and under) Free
- Family-Friendly Museums: "Enjoy free admission for kids under 14 and Chicago teens under 18. Be sure to include family-friendly art-making activities, self-guides and games."
- Best Attractions & Activities: "In addition to the world's largest Monet collection, explore the museum's Modern Wing for one of the world's great collections of modern and contemporary art."
- Things to Do in Fall: "Consider some of the ancillary action like a course in "Painting, Pop and Printmaking" or a sketch class in pop subjects and techniques."
- Best for Family-Friendly Museums Because: This is one of the best art museum's in the world, home to a stunning Impressionist collection and plenty for families to see and do.
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: Visitors to the Art Institute of Chicago can view the haunting "American Gothic" and Seurat's groundbreaking Pointillist work.
- Best for Things to Do in Fall Because: It's the first major retrospective of the artist and pop phenom's work organized by a US institution in 30 years.