Also Featured In
Photo courtesy of 3/09 this came from the AIC - KS requested media access
Art Institute of Chicago
Type: Art & Culture, Art Museums, Museums
Set your eyes upon provocative art on display 50 years after final Chicago exhibition. "Hairy Who" consists of the work of six boldy unconventional Chicago artists who showcased their work at the Hyde... Read More
Set your eyes upon provocative art on display 50 years after final Chicago exhibition. "Hairy Who" consists of the work of six boldy unconventional Chicago artists who showcased their work at the Hyde Park Art Center in the late 1960's. Inspired by the city's cultural and political fabric of the times, Jim Falconer, Art Green, Gladys Nilsson, Jim Nutt, Suellen Rocca and Karl Wirsum transformed pop images into virtuosic artworks. Self-named, Hairy Who's specific style transformed the cultural landscape of the city. The fantastic exhibition is on display from Sept. 26, 2018 through Jan. 6, 2019, at the Art Institute of Chicago.
- Fri-Wed: 10:30am-5pm
- Thu: 10:30am-8pm
- Adult $20 - $25; Senior (65) $14 - $19; Student $14 - $19; Child (14-17) Free - $19; Child (14 and under) Free
- Things to Do in Fall: "Consider some of the ancillary action like family workshops, lectures and an After Dark event for adults with late-night access, live performances, complimentary bites, and a cash bar."
- Family-Friendly Museums: "Enjoy free admission for kids under 14 and Chicago teens under 18. Be sure to include family-friendly art-making activities, self-guides and games."
- Best for Things to Do in Fall Because: This one-of-a-kind exhibition features a dynamic installation inspired by the gonzo environments originally created by the Hairy Who.
- Best for Family-Friendly Museums Because: This is one of the best art museum's in the world, and home to a stunning Impressionist collection.
- Best Attractions & Activities: "In addition to the world's largest Monet collection, explore the museum's Modern Wing for one of the world's great collections of modern and contemporary art."
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: Visitors to the Art Institute of Chicago can view the haunting "American Gothic" and Seurat's groundbreaking Pointillist work.