Type: Attractions, Sightseeing
Generally, the only Chicagoans you'll run into at Navy Pier are the employees but out-of-towners and suburbanites love the downtown pier that extends into Lake Michigan. Once used by the military,... Read More
Generally, the only Chicagoans you'll run into at Navy Pier are the employees but out-of-towners and suburbanites love the downtown pier that extends into Lake Michigan. Once used by the military, it's now Chicago's largest tourist attraction. You can just walk up and down the pier, taking in skyline and lake views. Or you can visit the excellent Chicago Children's Museum or ride the Centennial Wheel, a 200-foot-high Ferris wheel with enclosed gondolas. There are plenty of boat ride options, too, from the zippy Seadog to a more stately Odyssey. In summer, you can watch a free fireworks show synchronized to music on Wednesday and Saturday nights. An "old Chicago" style IT'SUGAR store offers a "Taste of Chicago Box" featuring products that originated here including Tootsie Rolls®, Baby Ruth®, Juicy Fruit®, Charleston Chew®, Chuckles®, Sugar Daddy®, and others.
600 E Grand Ave
Chicago, IL 60611
- Things to Do with Kids: "Sable at Navy Pier recently opened offering comfortable accommodations especially nice for families who want to take in the Pier."
- Best Attractions & Activities: "Sable at Navy Pier offers comfortable accommodations and a rooftop bar - all with sweeping views."
- Best for Things to Do with Kids Because: Chicago's most popular tourist destination includes a 200-foot-tall Ferris wheel offering sweeping views of the city.
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: One of Chicago's most popular tourist destinations includes a 200-foot-tall Ferris wheel offering fantastic skyline views.
- Attractions near United Center, Sightseeing: "Free Trolleys run between State Street and Navy Pier between Memorial Day and Labor Day."
- Best for Attractions near United Center, Sightseeing Because: Navy Pier is home to an IMAX theater, Chicago Shakespeare Theater, the Chicago Children's Museum and year-round special events.
Find the 10Best nearby: