Giardino dell’Orticoltura is a garden not normally visited by tourists. It is located outside the city center, near Piazza della Liberta. The park was established in 1879 by Giacomo Roster for the Società Toscana di Orticoltura (the Tuscan Horticultural Society.) Since then, Florentines come to admire the flowers and plants grown during the months of April and May, which feature special exhibitions. At the end of April for a week, there is the Mostra di piante e fiori, a grand market of all the plants and flowers from all over Tuscany. This market is frequented by many Florentines and Italians. They come from all corners of Tuscany to see the gorgeous garden full of flowers and colors.
The Flower and Plant Market — Photo courtesy of Katie Greenaway
The great Tepidario (a glass pavillion used to display flowers and plants) was designed by famed architect Giacomo Roster and opened in 1880. This was the first national exhibition of the industry. In 1876, the first issue of the Bulletin of the Royal Horticultural Society of Tuscany was published, and it soon became a reference point for farming at the time, both in Italy and abroad. Today the company maintains and develops the original objectives; publishes a bulletin, and organizes the flower and plant exhibitions for the spring and fall. The grounds surrounding the pavilion are very serene, and they include a playground that's nothing short of idyllic.