Type: Religious Sites, Sightseeing
Few people know that they can get into the Duomo for free. Though you might need to purchase a ticket to see the other sights (if you would like to climb up the campanile or dome itself you will need... Read More
Few people know that they can get into the Duomo for free. Though you might need to purchase a ticket to see the other sights (if you would like to climb up the campanile or dome itself you will need to go to the ticket office), you can enter the basilica without worrying about purchasing anything. This UNESCO World Heritage site offers a perfect example of Renaissance architecture. Make sure to bring your guidebook along so you can learn about Vasari's frescoes in the dome and the unique history behind the building. You can also take pictures inside, which is not always allowed in Italy's churches.
Piazza del Duomo
Hours:Due to COVID-19, please check with the attraction for the most recent updates to their opening hours.
- Free Things to Do: "Make sure you bring a guidebook with you so you know what you're seeing."
- Sightseeing: "Think about coming for mass--it's a great way to see the church and skip the lines of tourists."
- Best Attractions & Activities: "Make sure you buy a ticket so you can climb up to the top."
- Historic Sites: "Check out which times are busiest--evenings and mornings are usually quieter."
- Best for Free Things to Do Because: Florence's most famous church is worth taking a peek inside.
- Best for Sightseeing Because: It would be a shame to miss this famous and beautiful treasure.
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: Florence's most famous church is a sight to be seen--it's gorgeous.
- Best for Historic Sites Because: Florence's most famous church is a testament to the beauty of the city.