Also Featured In
Type: Great Views
For some of the best views of the Roman city skyline, it's worth making the trip up to the top of the Janiculum Hill (Giancolo). The area is not too accessible by public transportation, but locals and... Read More
For some of the best views of the Roman city skyline, it's worth making the trip up to the top of the Janiculum Hill (Giancolo). The area is not too accessible by public transportation, but locals and tourists decide to walk up the winding road when touring the area of Trastevere, which makes the visit easier. Once you make it to the top of Via Giacinto Carini, make sure to have your cameras ready for that picture-perfect snapshot of the Vittoriano Monument, the Pincio Gardens, San Pietro in Montorio and other beauties. The Giancolo is not apart of the 7 famous hills of Rome. The Janiculum also houses the famous Baroque fountain called the Acqua Paola and several prestigious foreign institutions such as the American Academy of Rome which hosts academic scholars of the arts on fellowships and sabbaticals each year, the Spanish Academy and the American University of Rome. Make sure to pay a visit to the Villa Lante before you leave the area. BUS: 115 or 870 to the top or 44 and 75 to Via Giacinto Carini.
Passeggiata del Gianicolo
- Historic Sites: "Make sure to check out the afternoon puppet shows (Teatrino di Pulcinella) featured just North of Piazzale Garibaldi from 3 pm onwards. The shows are free, but a small donation is kindly accepted."
- Outdoor Activities: "Try to head up on a cloud-free day to ensure the best view of the city."
- Romantic Things to Do: "Visit the big fountain, colloquially referred to by Romans as 'er fontantone'. It's one of the most romantic in all of Rome."
- Sightseeing: "Head up to the hill late morning so that at midday you can hear the canon which fires daily at midday to mark the battle of Rome."
- Best for Historic Sites Because: Visit Giancolo for a view of Rome that will take your breath away.
- Best for Outdoor Activities Because: View one of the most beautiful panoramas of Rome from Janiculum Hill.
- Best for Romantic Things to Do Because: The view of Rome from Janiculum Hill is breathtaking and is located only a short walk from the center.
- Best for Sightseeing Because: In the city center area, Janiculum Hill provides one of the best panoramic views of Rome.