Also Featured In
Type: Great Views, Public Spaces, Sightseeing
Ever since its completion in 1726, visitors even to this day are taken aback by the beauty of the Spanish Steps otherwise known as the 'scalinata' (staircase) to the locals. The three flights and... Read More
Ever since its completion in 1726, visitors even to this day are taken aback by the beauty of the Spanish Steps otherwise known as the 'scalinata' (staircase) to the locals. The three flights and landings represent the Trinity, and you almost feel as though you could be climbing toward Heaven's Gates as you ascend. Once you reach the very top of the steps, the bird's eye view of the Roman rooftops, the prestigious palazzi and the hustle and bustle of the piazza; you begin to realize just how stunningly beautiful Rome really is. BUS: 117, 119 or 590. METRO: Spagna
Scalinata della Trinità dei Monti
- Historic Sites: "Recent new city rules prohibit sitting on the steps and can incur hefty fines. Walking up and standing on the stairs is fine."
- Free Things to Do: "Aside from its beauty, the Spanish Steps remains it's a popular meeting place for young Romans looking to hit on and flirt with the foreign girls."
- Romantic Things to Do: "Spend the afternoon in this area and walk in the footsteps of Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck in Roman Holiday."
- Best for Historic Sites Because: Take a walk on the biggest staircase in all of Europe.
- Best for Free Things to Do Because: The largest outdoor staircase in Europe is a great spot to sit and people watch
- Best for Romantic Things to Do Because: The Spanish Steps is the biggest staircase in all of Europe and a great choice for lovers wanting to recreate their own Roman Holiday.