Also Featured In
Flavio al Velavevodetto
It's not often you can say you've eaten in an ancient landfill site. Located within Monte Testaccio, this entire hill was created from Romans dumping their amphorae (pots used to store liquids), and... Read More
It's not often you can say you've eaten in an ancient landfill site. Located within Monte Testaccio, this entire hill was created from Romans dumping their amphorae (pots used to store liquids), and the dining room is decorated with these terracotta fragments. Now an institution, their carbonara, amongst other Roman classics, has made it famous amongst gastronomes. Other dishes to try include the cacio e pepe, a pecorino cheese and black pepper specialty and the polpette di bollito (breaded meatballs made with braised meat). The tiramisu is a winner with a secret center surprise. In the summer, book in advance for a table on the romantic patio. METRO: Piramide. BUS: 3, 75
- Recommended as Best Value Because: Flavio's offers authentic roman fare, a stellar wine cellar, a unique location and very honest prices.
- Best for Lunch Because: Fine roman food, located in a historic location with a view that will surprise.
- Best for Outdoor Dining Because: This is cucina romana at it's very best and never disappoints.
- Best for Family Friendly Because: Taking the kids to eat inside an old Roman dumpsite is pretty unique and a fun story to tell.
- Best for Homestyle Because: For family and homestyle cooked food in a unique setting, Flavio's is sure hard to beat!
- Best for Roman Because: Flavio's continues to maintain it's reputation for one of the best trattorie in Rome.