Explore New Orleans
Also Featured In
The National World War II Museum
Located in New Orleans because that was the home of Higgins Industries, the manufacturer of the landing craft that delivered U.S. troops onto the D-Day beaches, this CBD must-see will appeal to all... Read More
Located in New Orleans because that was the home of Higgins Industries, the manufacturer of the landing craft that delivered U.S. troops onto the D-Day beaches, this CBD must-see will appeal to all history lovers and slightly older kids interested in military lore. In addition to the permanent and special exhibits, the museum also offers "Beyond all Boundaries", a 4-D movie narrated by Tom Hanks. Special programming includes a monthly overnight for families, a pajama party geared to the 7-12 year old set loaded with activities, scavenger hunts, games and the opportunity to climb inside the Museum's Sherman Tank. Family-themed work shops explore themes like code school and aviation.
- Family-Friendly Museums: "The "Beyond Boundaries" 4-D movie is beyond awesome."
- Museums: "Have nibbles and drinks at the Museum's American Sector bar and restaurant or stay for happy hour, always a great deal."
- Attractions near Smoothie King Center: "The Museum is located in New Orleans to pay tribute to Andrew Jackson Higgins, the New Orleans-based designer of the amphibious landing craft that proved so decisive on D-Day."
- Best for Family-Friendly Museums Because: The National World War II Museum is family friendly, with plenty of exhibits to keep slightly older kids' attention.
- Best for Museums Because: It's the only homage to the heroes and battles of the
- Best for Attractions near Smoothie King Center Because: This link to the achievements and back story of World War II's Greatest Generation is a priceless piece of history.