Explore New Orleans
Type: Parks, Romantic
Are your batteries in need of a recharge after an action-packed New Orleans night? Head over to City Park, accessible by streetcar, a green space that is 50 percent larger than New York's Central... Read More
Are your batteries in need of a recharge after an action-packed New Orleans night? Head over to City Park, accessible by streetcar, a green space that is 50 percent larger than New York's Central Park. Walk, run or bike through the endless paths covered by the shade of ancient live oak trees. Let the kids play tag on the playscape while you enjoy a picnic lunch by the lagoon. Golf, tennis, horseback riding and bike/kayak rentals appeal to the outdoor enthusiast. For the kids, Storyland (a fairy tale theme park) and Carousel Gardens Amusement Park (featuring a miniature train that carries children through the park) will keep them entertained for hours. Pay a visit to the New Orleans Museum of Art, situated at the park's entrance, or stroll the free outdoor sculpture gardens behind the museum, a true hidden gem.
Hours:Due to COVID-19, please check with the attraction for the most recent updates to their opening hours.
- Best Attractions & Activities: "Spend $11-$23 to rent a swan boat, kayak or canoe and explore the bayous and lake in City Park."
- Things to Do with Kids: "Don't miss Celebration in the Oaks if you come during the holidays, a fabulous walk-through light show perfect for families."
- Romantic Things to Do: "Rent a paddle boat or SUP and head out on the lagoon."
- Things to Do in Fall: "You can rent SUPs, swan boats and surreys in the park, all the better to enjoy the great outdoors."
- Free Things to Do: "During the summer months, shade under the massive live oak trees is a hot commodity - stake your claim early in the day."
- Outdoor Activities: "City Park is transformed into a holiday wonderland during the annual Celebration in the Oaks lighting spectacular."
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: City Park is the city's most accessible green space, a place for runners, bikers and anybody in need of some Mother Nature.
- Best for Things to Do with Kids Because: This is the largest green space in the city with its own special play area for kids.
- Best for Romantic Things to Do Because: City Park, with its leafy canopy of live oaks and natural beauty is the perfect place to spend a quiet, relaxing day.
- Best for Things to Do in Fall Because: Gorgeous City Park is every New Orleanian's front and back yard.
- Best for Free Things to Do Because: City Park has a multitude of free options for the New Orleans traveler: the sculpture gardens behind NOMA, picnic areas, playgrounds, exercise circuits and more.
- Best for Outdoor Activities Because: City Park is the city's front yard, much loved and used by locals of every stripe.