Explore New Orleans
New Orleans Streetcars
The New Orleans Streetcar is the preeminent mode of transportation in the Crescent City. Traveling through the middle of major streets such as St. Charles, N. Rampart, Canal and Carrollton, the... Read More
The New Orleans Streetcar is the preeminent mode of transportation in the Crescent City. Traveling through the middle of major streets such as St. Charles, N. Rampart, Canal and Carrollton, the streetcar is an affordable method of transportation that allows you to soak in the sights as you move closer to your end destination. $1.25 gets you aboard, and if lucky, you'll have a streetcar operator that will act as an informal tour guide, pointing out important landmarks. The streetcar itself is of historical significance to the city. It is the oldest continually operating street railway system in the entire world, moving city-goers around since the 19th century.
Hours:Due to COVID-19, please check with the attraction for the most recent updates to their opening hours.
- $1.25 - $20
- Best Attractions & Activities: "Take the Canal Street line out of the Quarter to experience Chickie Wah Wah, a local favorite for live music."
- Things to Do with Kids: "Remember that you'll need exact change, $1.25, to ride the streetcar."
- Romantic Things to Do: "A seat by the window is like getting a show for your ticket price."
- Things to Do in Fall: "Single-day $3 Jazzy passes (also available in multiple days) deliver unlimited rides, which usually cost $1.25 each - buy online or in cash from the streetcar conductor."
- Free Things to Do: "You need exact change to board, so keep dollar bills and quarters handy."
- Attractions near Smoothie King Center: "One of the best ways to see the Garden District is take the St. Charles Avenue streetcar from Canal all the way up to Carrolton Ave. When you see something that looks interesting, just hop off and investigate. The street is dotted with huge antebellum mansions and hotels."
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: Streetcars are a living breathing part of New Orleans culture.
- Best for Things to Do with Kids Because: New Orleans streetcars are an iconic symbol that not only carries tourists but also serves the students and residents of the city.
- Best for Romantic Things to Do Because: Riding an original 19th century St. Charles streetcar is a seminal New Orleans experience.
- Best for Things to Do in Fall Because: Nothing beats seeing the city with the clickity-clack of a streetcar in the background.
- Best for Free Things to Do Because: Though the Streetcar isn't technically free ($1.25/trip), it is the most economical non-walking tour of the city.
- Best for Attractions near Smoothie King Center Because: Riding the St. Charles Avenue streetcar is on ever visitors' bucket list.