Explore New Orleans
Cuisine: American, Creole, Local Specialty
Price Range: $$$
When Tory McPhail decided to head west to be closer to family and start his own restaurant group, there was no question that Med Bickford was going to be Commander's first executive chef. Promoted... Read More
When Tory McPhail decided to head west to be closer to family and start his own restaurant group, there was no question that Med Bickford was going to be Commander's first executive chef. Promoted from chef de cuisine, Bickford continues to respect traditional Creole cuisine without being limited by its constraints. Sticking with local and sustainable product whenever possible, she conjures dishes like La Ceiba gulf fish prepared with crispy cassava and coconut lime fish fumet, stretching boundaries while still delivering the gumbo, turtle soup and prime steak that customers expect. Commander's offers one of the most diverse wine selections in the city - thanks to "wine guy" Dan Davis, who isn't a bit stuffy and happy to help.
1403 Washington Ave
New Orleans, LA 70130
- Creole: "Reservations are required at the turquoise Palace on Washington Ave."
- Beignets: "There isn't a bad seat in the house for Sunday jazz brunch - the band roams through every dining room."
- Garden District's Best Lunch: "25 cent martinis at lunch. That's all there is to say."
- Garden District's Best Brunch: "Jazz brunch is an epic New Orleans experience at this Creole institution."
- Best for Creole Because: This is a bucket list restaurant that is part of New Orleans dining culture.
- Best for Beignets Because: This flagship of the Brennan family offers a seminal New Orleans dining experience
- Best for Garden District's Best Lunch Because: Lunching at Commander's Palace allows you to indulge in their scrumptious meals at a fraction of what it would cost at dinner.
- Best for Garden District's Best Brunch Because: Commander's Palace offers a swank brunch priced in the $40s, three courses if Creole goodness that guarantees a special occasion.
Find the 10Best nearby: