Explore New Orleans
Cuisine: American, Creole, Local Specialty
Price Range: $$$
The turquoise and white awning is the first sign of good taste at this flagship of the Brennan family, housed in a gorgeous Victorian mansion in the Garden District since 1880. Sporting a decor that... Read More
The turquoise and white awning is the first sign of good taste at this flagship of the Brennan family, housed in a gorgeous Victorian mansion in the Garden District since 1880. Sporting a decor that combines whimsy with elegance, Commanders is a dressy spot, no shorts or t-shirts and jackets are preferred - but not required - for gents at dinner. The kitchen, where Emeril Lagasse and Paul Prudhomme started and chef Meg Bickford now presides, delivers Haute Creole specialties including oysters with absinthe and skillet seared gulf fish. From your first sip of a Sazerac to your last crumb of bread pudding soufflé, you will enjoy Brennan family hospitality at its best. A
- Best Restaurants: "Two-course lunches are $20-$23, best enjoyed with 25 cent martinis at lunch - "only" three to a customer."
- Creole: "Reservations are required at the Palace on Washington Ave."
- Beignets: "Yes, the restaurant serve 25-cent martinis at lunch, reason enough to head to Commander's."
- Garden District's Best Lunch: "25 cent martinis at lunch. That's all there is to say."
- Garden District's Best Brunch: "Jazz brunch is an epic New Orleans experience at this Creole institution."
- Recommended as Best Restaurants Because: This is an iconic New Orleans eatery, the shining star in the Brennan family crown.
- Best for Creole Because: This is a bucket list restaurant that is part of New Orleans dining culture.
- Best for Beignets Because: This flagship of the Brennan family offers a seminal New Orleans dining experience
- Best for Garden District's Best Lunch Because: Lunching at Commander's Palace allows you to indulge in their scrumptious meals at a fraction of what it would cost at dinner.
- Best for Garden District's Best Brunch Because: Commander's Palace offers a swank brunch priced in the $40s, three courses if Creole goodness that guarantees a special occasion.