Explore New Orleans
Also Featured In
Photo courtesy of Commander's Palace
Cuisine: American, Creole, Local Specialty
Price Range: $$$
The blue Victorian facade of Commander's Palace in the Garden District of New Orleans has been the site of five-star dining since 1880, and a hallmark of the Brennan family since 1974. The kitchen... Read More
The blue Victorian facade of Commander's Palace in the Garden District of New Orleans has been the site of five-star dining since 1880, and a hallmark of the Brennan family since 1974. The kitchen that gave the world Paul Prudhomme and Emeril Lagasse is now the domain of James Beard Award-winning chef Tory McPhail. Everything is good, but don't miss any featured gumbo, the chargrilled oyster stew with kale, bacon and cream and local fish crusted with spiced pecans. Dan Davis' wine program is second to none, with an average of 45 wines by the glass always in rotation. Menu standouts include Commander's Palace was renovated handsomely post-Katrina and is a gorgeous place to celebrate something special, or simply people watch and sip $.25 martinis at lunch. In keeping with tradition, Commander's requires business attire, with suit jackets recommended for dinner and jeans frowned upon. Be prepared to experience New Orleans dining at its best.
- Romantic Dining: "Have a drink at the back bar, you get there through the kitchen, and ask to see the private wine room for a real wow!"
- Best Restaurants: "Two-course lunches are $18-$21, best enjoyed with 25 cent martinis at lunch - "only" three to a customer."
- Beignets: "Yes, the restaurant serve 25-cent martinis at lunch, reason enough to head to Commander's."
- Garden District's Best Lunch: "25 cent martinis at lunch. That's all there is to say."
- Garden District's Best Brunch: "Jazz brunch is an epic New Orleans experience at this Creole institution."
- Creole: "Reservations are required at the Palace on Washington Ave."
- Best for Romantic Dining Because: Bucket list eating starts with Commander's Palace in New Orleans.
- Recommended as Best Restaurants Because: This is an iconic New Orleans eatery, the shining star in the Brennan family crown.
- Best for Beignets Because: This flagship of the Brennan family offers a seminal New Orleans dining experience
- Best for Garden District's Best Lunch Because: Lunching at Commander's Palace allows you to indulge in their scrumptious meals at a fraction of what it would cost at dinner.
- Best for Garden District's Best Brunch Because: Commander's Palace offers a swank brunch priced in the $40s, three courses if Creole goodness that guarantees a special occasion.
- Best for Creole Because: This is a bucket list restaurant that is part of New Orleans dining culture.