Explore New Orleans
Global Wildlife Center
Outdoor attractions are plentiful on this side of Lake Pontchartrain, a world away from the excess of New Orleans. The Global Wildlife Center is the Northshore's answer to Disney's Animal Kingdom, an... Read More
Outdoor attractions are plentiful on this side of Lake Pontchartrain, a world away from the excess of New Orleans. The Global Wildlife Center is the Northshore's answer to Disney's Animal Kingdom, an eco-friendly 900-acre predator-free animal park that offers 90-minute covered wagon tours to view the 40 species, 2700 animals in all, which live in the park. You're likely to see giraffes, antelope, Father David deer, dromedaries and bison on your Louisiana safari, which includes feeding the curious critters from an open air safari-like vehicle. There is so much to do for families on this side of the lake that you might want to stay over for a night or two.
- Things to Do in Fall: "If you're already across the lake for a nearby swamp tour, this attraction is a terrific add-on sure to please the animal lovers in the group."
- Things to Do with Kids: "You can reserve a private jeep tour for as few as four people at $39.95 per person."
- Outdoor Activities, Family-Friendly Museums: "This is a wonderful addition to a swamp tour across the lake."
- Best for Things to Do in Fall Because: Who knew you could be feeding giraffes on an excursion across the causeway to the North Shore?
- Best for Things to Do with Kids Because: This is just one of the fun family excursions available across the causeway.
- Best for Outdoor Activities Because: How often do you have the chance to feed giraffes out of an army style jeep?
- Best for Family-Friendly Museums Because: What's not to like about going on safari just across the lake from New Orleans?