Spend the day at the spa the next time it rains while you are on vacation. — Photo courtesy of Excellence Resorts
If you regularly check the weather report for Cancun, you'll see that there is normally rain in the forecast. The forecasters are rarely right but, from time to time, Cancun gets a rainy day. Wet days leave tourists at a loss for things to do, since their entire vacation plans mainly revolve around plopping down in the sand and simmering in the sun for several days.
There are many fun ways to pass the time when it's raining in Cancun, and here are some suggestions:
1. Enjoy a Spa Day. Many of Cancun's hotels have luxurious spas where you can be totally pampered. Since you can't sunbathe in the rain, you'll be able to fully relax and enjoy yourself at a spa, without feeling like you are missing out on any prime sunbathing time.
2. Shop for Souvenirs. Don't waste a fabulous, sunny day shopping for souvenirs when you can just as easily accomplish this task on a rainy day. Kukulkan Plaza, Luxury Avenue, Plaza Caracol, Plaza Forum by the Sea are nice options for shopping on a rainy day. Avoid La Isla Shopping Village when it rains, as that mall is open-air. It's a wonderful mall on sunny days, however.
Enjoy a delicious lunch at a seaside restaurant, on a rainy day in Cancun. — Photo courtesy of Hacienda Sisal
3. Have a Nice Meal. So often, on vacation, we eat lunch on the go, simply because we want to maximize our time in the sun. On a rainy day, make the most of your free time and have leisurely lunch at a great restaurant. While you are at it, have a few drinks. After all, you are on vacation and have nowhere to be. A restaurant that has a view of the water would be perfect, since the Caribbean Sea and Nichupte Lagoon are still quite lovely in the rain. Your concierge will be able to suggest nice places that fit the bill.
4. See a Movie. There are several movie theaters in Cancun and they all show first-run movies, although some films are released later in Mexico, than they are in the US. The movies are normally shown in English (or the language in which the film was originally made) with Spanish subtitles, but children's movies are usually dubbed into Spanish. The price for a movie ticket at the Cinemark theater, in La Isla Shopping Village, is only $70 pesos, per person. That is just slightly more than $5 USD.
Beach Palace, and all area Palace Resorts, have a 2-person, jetted tub in each guest room. — Photo courtesy of Beach Palace
5. Sleep Late. You're on vacation, after all. Take advantage of it and sleep late. Or, take it a step further and make the most of your valuable vacation time by lounging around your room reading, soaking in your jetted tub (if you are lucky enough to have one in your hotel room), or watching movies in bed. If you are traveling with children, they might not be too keen on relaxing all day, or even sitting still for longer than five minutes. To keep the little ones entertained, be sure to pack portable video games, DVDs & a portable DVD player, or make sure you have free wi-fi in your hotel room, so the kids can entertain themselves with a laptop or iPad.